Third Party Press

Mauser Tankgewehr 1918 - Research

Slash

Gray Ghost Moderator
Staff member
Hello all. Have been researching the WWI German Tankgewehr for a number of years. Have compiled quite a bit of material but still looking for additional data in the form of serial numbers and other information. At this point am not trying to duplicate Wolfgang Kern’s book but a lot has been discovered since it was released in 2002. And more information is out there of interest to collectors and researchers. With this in mind am asking for assistance from members here who own examples of the Tankgewehr and would be willing to provided information. Also interested in serial numbers and/or other details for guns that have been examined or observed. Below are the areas of most specific interest:

- Serial Number - For Rifle and Bolt (if not matching)

- Right Side Receiver Crowned Acceptance Stamps - (Generally One or Two)

- Right Side Barrel Crowned Acceptance Stamps - (Generally Three)

- Barrel Code - Stamped to the underside of the barrel approximately 15 - 20 mm in front of the stock's end; front of the barrel band/bipod mount - (Stamped in small letters, it should be something like BS, KK, KR, Si, SM … Or something similar)

- Caliber Marking - Stamped to the top of the barrel directly front of the receiver

- Stock - One or Two Piece Construction

- Type of Bipod - Tubular (Purpose Made) or Stamped/Riveted Sheet Metal (MG08/15 Type)

ANY information is greatly appreciated. It is NOT required that every submissions include all of the above. Serial numbers for orphaned Stocks, Receivers, Bolts, Barrels, etc are also of value. Same with serial numbers or other details for examples you may have only observed (museums, auctions, other collections, etc). Also interested in any further details for rifles listed by serial number in Kern’s book. Every little piece of information is helpful to the research.

Submissions may be added directly to this thread or sent to me via PM for follow-up. Pics or images, especially of the Right Side Receiver & Barrel markings are also appreciated. All those contributing will be fully acknowledged in any published account of this research. For clarification or questions please contact me. Many thanks in advance for your assistance …

Keywords: Tankabwehrgewehr Tankgewehr T-Gewehr Panzerabwehrbüchse Panzerbüchse Panzerabwehr Gewehr zur Tank-Abwehr Tank und Flugzeug Gewehr TuF Gewehr Mauser WMO 1918

Lance, I will try and examine my database on observations over the years and include some context for each rifle and post it here ASAP, - I have had a rather bad few weeks to deal with, but I hope I can spend more time on the forum and my research projects...

**If this is desired a stickie let me know, we have a lot already but I plan on setting some of them to floaters as activity has diminished (I have my doubts stickie status is all that worthwhile as most scroll pass them, and unless activity monitored by the author there is little point at the top). New threads might benefit from stickie, especially when actively managed by the author.

Last edited:
Lance, I will try and examine my database on observations over the years and include some context for each rifle and post it here ASAP, - I have had a rather bad few weeks to deal with, but I hope I can spend more time on the forum and my research projects...

**If this is desired a stickie let me know, we have a lot already but I plan on setting some of them to floaters as activity has diminished (I have my doubts stickie status is all that worthwhile as most scroll pass them, and unless activity monitored by the author there is little point at the top). New threads might benefit from stickie, especially when actively managed by the author.
Paul, could we have a stickied master thread for research subjects with links to the thread? i've noticed the same thing, lots of good stickies but it makes the forum a little cluttered, especially when viewed on mobile.

Thanks to our members that have contributed with information. Much appreciated! Still looking for additional information as noted in the initial post. No details are too small!!

Good Morning,

Just finished a chamber cast and slugging. It appears that the only identification on my T-Gewehr (#265 body and bolt) are what you see in the photos. I do not see a caliber marking or barrel code. The rifle is all matching except the major action screw that is a reproduction. Stock is one-piece and it has a stamped replacement bipod. Randy

Attachments

• IMG_1718.JPG
    IMG_1718.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 38
Let me add a few more pictures from inside the stock and down on the right side of the butt.

Attachments

• IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Mine looks like the reproduction that IMA had put out. I am in the market for an original tubular bipod. Thanks, Randy

Canadian Expeditionary Force Captured T-Gewehr
Repatriated to Austria

Right Receiver 1x Imperial Proof
Right Barrel 3x Imperial Proof
Stamped bi-pod
Top Receiver Mauser 1918
Top Barrel - maybe markings hidden by rust?
Left Bipod coupling - serial 1033
Left barrel in front of rear sight - serial 1033
Left barrel in front of receiver - serial 1033 1x Imperial proof
Left Receiver 1x Imperial proof and serial 1033
Cracked wrist - Post War? Or to decommission prior to surrender?
Missing bolt - to decommission prior to surrender? or to DEWAT for display in schools, libraries etc. post war?
Right Butt Stock "R"
Stock single piece.

Attachments

• IMG_9586.jpg
    IMG_9586.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9580.jpg
    IMG_9580.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9583.jpg
    IMG_9583.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9589.jpg
    IMG_9589.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9592.jpg
    IMG_9592.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Canadian Expeditionary Force Capture - In my collection

Left Barrel Serial 9058 1x Imperial Proof
Left Receiver 1x Imperial Proof serial 9058
Left bipod coupling 1x Imperial Proof
Left Barrel in front of rear sight - Serial 9058
Right bipod coupling - Serial 9058
Right Receiver 3x Imperial Proof
Right Barrel 3x Imperial Proof
Right Butt Stock 2x Imperial Proof and "R"
Left Butt 'CHE' Capture engraving? Past owner engraving?
Bolt Release - 1x Imperial Proof and serial 9058
Stock Wrist - 1x Imperial Proof and serial 9058
Rear Sight - Serial '058'
Rear Sight Base 'G'
Under Barrel 'KK' '13'
Top of Barrel '1302'
Top of Receiver - Mauser 1918
Trigger Guard - 1x Imperial Proof 9058
Bi-Pod - Tubular
Bolt - Originally missing - Waffen Meister non-marked replacement 'in the white'. Bolt missing upon surrender to decommission? Or for DEWAT purposes to display in schools etc?
Stock is two piece - very nice dovetail work

Many of the CEF Capture weapons have missing parts. Either discarded by the German prior to capture, lost in the field, removed in order to DEWAT the firearms prior to being given away for presentation throughout the country, or simply collectors taking and MM parts. For example one top trays in the collection of MG's below actually belongs with an MG in a museum in Manitoba and the BiPod on this rifle came as a spare part with that collection and is not necessarily matching to this rifle. Nevertheless, I have been very lucky to handle and or sell many of these trophy's over the years. I have a great MG08/15 in my collection and this T-Gewehr currently in my collection is one of the nicest I have seen.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3413.jpg
    IMG_3413.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3416.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3420.jpg
    IMG_3420.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
More pics for details on 9058 and some other CEF captured weapons.

Attachments

• IMG_3421.jpg
    IMG_3421.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3422.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3424.jpg
    IMG_3424.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3426.jpg
    IMG_3426.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3428.jpg
    IMG_3428.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 34
Many thanks to Rescuerandy2 and agentcq for their contributions! Much appreciated. Thanks to Amberg as well for the great period photograph. I had forgotten about that style of bipod. Photo below shows all three types. There may be others however ......

Attachments

• Bipods.png
    Bipods.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 27
Good Evening,

Having to wait on their moderator to open my account before PMing. There seems to be some hacking issues on the site but will try getting a hold of the folks with the bipod. Thanks, Randy.

Military Rifle Journal
Back