Third Party Press

Mount for RLN Scope

StG44

So fate had to shove this in my face the other day. I guess I'm looking for a mount now..........Is there a mount that would be more or less correct to put this on?

WP_001804.jpg

WP_001808.jpg

Thanks!

mauser99

wow... nice scope.. A late round edge mount e/359 mount would be correct. Or E/214 Im really not sure weather BLM or walther got the RLN scopes?? Or both ? They made very few. I may know someone who may have a spare..

RADOMMAN

Nice scope and a very hard one to find also usually very expensive. Dont complain not every one has one in ther collection. CONGRATS

Nigromontanus

an unnumbered 214 mount with round edges and phosphated bands is correct for this scope. I have seen and documented one of the few original combinations.

StG44

Thanks! Just what I needed to know!
Is it known what mfg and SN range for the rifles these /1s went on? I'm hoping I didn't open a can of worms by getting this thing,,, because that's all I need is another project!

Wilhelm

This design was so good that it was reworked in the 1950's into the ZF4 scope for the G1. The diopter and windage knobs were reversed and the body was reworked for the G1 mount but it's very much the same otherwise. I think that many of the parts will even interchange. Compare some of these detail shots to your scope:

Amberg

Some of the early postwar scopes are still marked with ZFK43/1. On Hensoldt drawings for a new mount you can find the designation "ZFK43/1" still in 1956/57. As you can see from the attached drawing they even tested a claw mount for the CETME / G1.

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 38

Amberg

Almost off topic, but at least an ZFK43/1 is shown.
Another experimental mount for the CETME / G1.

Attachments

• IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2430.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 26

Wilhelm

Thank you again! Please share any/all information you might have about the ZFK 43/1 whenever it was produced.

Amberg

Have a few more post war drawings, and there are two post war ZFK43/1 marked scopes in collections over here. I can try to find out more about these scopes, like serial# ...
I'll let you know.

LTCar2

an unnumbered 214 mount with round edges and phosphated bands is correct for this scope. I have seen and documented one of the few original combinations.

StG44, nice scope BTW. Now I'm going to play the "devil's advocate" here. How do you know that the ZF43/1 was originally placed on K43 qve's? We already know that Walther did any and all variations and testing to the G/K43 weapons system exclusively. We even know that it was Walther that provided the K43 weapons systems for testing of the ZF4 "Bu" scope (there are fewer ZF4 "Bu" scopes than ZF43/1 scopes by the way). It seems odd that we know very little of the development of the ZF43/1 and it suddenly appears on BLM rifles. Granted, much of our knowledge is derived from observations and noticed trends and 43/1,s on BLM rifles do not seem to fit the trend in reguards to testing and fielding. However, all good collectors know that if it doesn't fit in the box doesn't make it not so. Just putting it out there for thought.

Xavier

Hello,
it is true that nearly nothing is known about those ZF43/1 scopes but Nigromontanus from Austria has got an original ZF43/1 with its original waa214 mount.
I have seen an other ZF43/1 scope with its original Waa214 mount as well. This other scope is belonging to a fellow sniper collector in France.
Just observations. no certainties. But It can help.
best regards

LTCar2

Hello,
it is true that nearly nothing is known about those ZF43/1 scopes but Nigromontanus from Austria has got an original ZF43/1 with its original waa214 mount.
I have seen an other ZF43/1 scope with its original Waa214 mount as well. This other scope is belonging to a fellow sniper collector in France.
Just observations. no certainties. But It can help.
best regards

Hello Xavier,
Nearly all ZF43/1's observed here in the US have been individual scopes meaning they are not placed on any particular mount or rifle. The few observed that are mounted are predominately on AC rifles. Now that I think about it, and memory serves me right, there was a ZF43/1 mounted on a BLM rifle that was listed in the RIA about 5 or 6 years ago. I remember thinking how odd that was then. Bottom line is: I need something alittle more than acouple of observations on a BLM rifle to make that "the original trend". I've seen as many on AC rifles and who is to say this was not the "the original trend" without some type of provenance? I'm looking for a little more on this.

Xavier

one more observation: the Waa214 mounts with those ZF43/1 were unnumbered , that means non issued on K43 gewehr.
but it is true ; we need more informations and observations.
regards

Nigromontanus

I do have quite much I dare to say, but not a rln with original mount. I did not even write that. I have just made pics of the same scope I think that Xavier has seen too.

Nigromontanus

I just checked my database - which holds more serial numbers mentioned in this thread - and it has also rln scopes with unnumbered 359 mounts. So all we know is that these scopes need an unnumbered mount. More we do not at the moment.

Military Rifle Journal