Third Party Press

Need help dating a Walther P38

CRMausr7

Greetings everyone. I have a Walther P38 that I picked up a few months ago at my local gunshop. It came to me as a chromed mixmaster, with a mismatched Walther frame & barrel, and a Mauser slide and magazine. I've since replaced the slide with an unmarked blued example I bought off eBay, and the magazine with a Walther-marked postwar example. I'm trying to get an idea of when this pistol may have been built, since the original slide is long gone. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220506_185526_2.jpg
    20220506_185526_2.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 82
Greetings everyone. I have a Walther P38 that I picked up a few months ago at my local gunshop. It came to me as a chromed mixmaster, with a mismatched Walther frame & barrel, and a Mauser slide and magazine. I've since replaced the slide with an unmarked blued example I bought off eBay, and the magazine with a Walther-marked postwar example. I'm trying to get an idea of when this pistol may have been built, since the original slide is long gone. Any thoughts?
After mid 1942 as all the small parts are not waffen’ed

None that I am aware of
I was afraid you were going to say that. Is it possible this could be one of those 1945 "C-block" P38s I've heard about? The serial number on my example has a "C" suffix. The barrel is also serialized with a C suffix, but as I mentioned, isn't matching.

I was afraid you were going to say that. Is it possible this could be one of those 1945 "C-block" P38s I've heard about? The serial number on my example has a "C" suffix. The barrel is also serialized with a C suffix, but as I mentioned, isn't matching.
No, you have a Waffen/359 above your trigger, most GI pickups m right from the factory would not have gotten the waffen in the C block.

What does the other side look like? Any markings on the barrel and locking block? It’s a later frame and earlier slide. Looks like a phosphate finished extractor. Wonder if it’s a GI ‘45 pick up?

What does the other side look like? Any markings on the barrel and locking block? It’s a later frame and earlier slide. Looks like a phosphate finished extractor. Wonder if it’s a GI ‘45 pick up?
This is what the other side looks like. Most of the parts on the pistol are chromed, including the extractor. I don't have pictures of the barrel, but it has an eagle 359 on the left side just in front of the locking block. The barrel is numbered 5062C, and the locking block is marked 062. I can post pictures of the markings tomorrow if it'd help.

Attachments

• 20220506_185540.jpg
    20220506_185540.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 18
With such a high C block serial on the barrel with the matching locking block I’d guess the barrel isn’t from a late mismatched C block pistol, would have had unnumbered locking block. Frame is nearly impossible to know, but I’d guess 43-44.

With such a high C block serial on the barrel with the matching locking block I’d guess the barrel isn’t from a late mismatched C block pistol, would have had unnumbered locking block. Frame is nearly impossible to know, but I’d guess 43-44.
Okay. That fits with the prevailing theory of it being made in 1943 or 44.

I'm going to help narrow it down - the ac43 "c:" block still had the straight frame at the trigger pin, your frame has the "hump" reinforcement at the trigger pin, so it will be a 44 frame most likely - but could still be an ac45 I guess if the slide catch is replaced - the statement that the mismatched ac45 C blocks didn't have the frame waffenamt is incorrect, they do. Based on the slide stop lever, I'd guess 1944 for sure, the late ac45 C blocks have a simplified slide lock as shown below.

Attachments

• serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I'm going to help narrow it down - the ac43 "c:" block still had the straight frame at the trigger pin, your frame has the "hump" reinforcement at the trigger pin, so it will be a 44 frame most likely - but could still be an ac45 I guess if the slide catch is replaced - the statement that the mismatched ac45 C blocks didn't have the frame waffenamt is incorrect, they do. Based on the slide stop lever, I'd guess 1944 for sure, the late ac45 C blocks have a simplified slide lock as shown below.
Okay, so most likely 1944. Thanks so much for the info.

Wow! I didn't know there was as simplified slide lock or a hump reinforcement at the trigger pin. Nice to know! Thanks! :) (y)

Also, I'm considering having the replacement slide I bought laser engraved with many of the gun's world war II era markings, but I haven't firmly decided, nor have I found someone to perform the work. However, I wouldn't have waffenamts or the serial number engraved, as I do take issue with counterfeit "matching numbered" guns. Would my pistol, given its placement in the later part of the AC 44 C-block production, have had the stacked "AC/44" marks just behind the "P.38," or the linear "AC 44" marking just ahead of where the slide serial number would have been?

Thanks for the info on the C block, I thought the C blocks were all GI capture mix masters before the inspection stamps were applied. I’m going to have to crack open one of my P38 books and do a bit more reading.

Also, I'm considering having the replacement slide I bought laser engraved with many of the gun's world war II era markings, but I haven't firmly decided, nor have I found someone to perform the work. However, I wouldn't have waffenamts or the serial number engraved, as I do take issue with counterfeit "matching numbered" guns. Would my pistol, given its placement in the later part of the AC 44 C-block production, have had the stacked "AC/44" marks just behind the "P.38," or the linear "AC 44" marking just ahead of where the slide serial number would have been?
Me personally, I wouldn’t take issue with engraving the dirty birds, it’s a laser engraver which will look different than original stamps. If you’re keeping it for yourself and not trying to pass off as original I don’t think there’s much harm in it. Just my $0.02

Does anybody have any recommendations for someone to perform the engraving? Also, what type of font is closest to that used on AC 44 Walther slides?

Military Rifle Journal
Back