Third Party Press

Need help removing an Erma Conversion kit

Stropp

I have an Erma kit that was sold mounted in a 98k. Cannot find enough info to remove it. Tapping the bolt and turning the lug but no luck.

Attachments

• 44802547-097A-4374-9609-AC3395AC1506.jpeg
    44802547-097A-4374-9609-AC3395AC1506.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 34

CLG

As you probably know, the rear ring of the two near the receiver is threaded and turns clockwise to highten against the front ring which has locking lugs concealed by the receiver, to hold it in place. As I recall the visible stud on the front ring should be pointing straight up to ensure that the lugs are free from the receiver. If the lugs are in the proper orientation it will come out but they do stick. I will check mine to be sure I am right about the orientation.

Stropp

Thank you. I will put that stud straight up. No idea how long it has been in there. Making sure there is nothing else holding the bolt in like the original bolt release or the trigger. I am using a soft blow hammer on the bolt in the rear position. Do not want to damage anything

CLG

I see from your photo that the stud on the front ring is facing slightly to the left, so the lugs are slightly engaged in the receiver. Point it straight up and the unit should come out with a stiff pull on the bolt.

Last edited:

oldwing

Any joy? I have one in a Spanish(?) Mauser and your post prompted me to remove it, never had it out before. After loosening the ring and turning the head as said above it took a considerable amount of tapping to get it out. It appeared to have had cosmoline or a similar heavy grease between the liner and barrel bore. Very sticky stuff.

The witness marks on the front bolt body and the bolt handle sure makes bolt installation easier

Stropp

Hi!!
No joy!! I have it soaked in breakfree now.
I tapped it pretty good and there is zero movement. Doest look rusty. I did take it out the the stock and realizing it is a DOU 44 with no matching parts and a GEW 98 trigger guard with imperial marks… no idea as I bought it on GB
I am going to hit the bolt with a soft blow hammer with barrel in a vice.

CLG

Worse comes to worse you could try tapping the muzzle end with a suitable sized wooden dowel

Stropp

Thank you for that. Finally got it out. There is a little rust in the chamber. Everything looks great. The host gun appears to have not been fired. Getting it back together and going to bring it to the range. Thanks for everyone’s help. I had trouble and tapped it hard many times to finally get it to release.

Last edited:

oldwing

Good to hear you got it out. It would be interesting to see how it does at the rnge, I’m intending to try mine at 50 yards soon,

Stropp

Keep me posted too!! Going to steel wool the rust off, clean both barrels and reinsert.
Will take me a few weekends.

Military Rifle Journal