Third Party Press

New guy, Just picked up my first K98!

HI FOLKS!

As the title states have a new member and really happy to be part of the forum.
Also I recently purchased my first K98 and it’s in the format that I’ve always wanted. However I may have overpay for it. But with this being my first Mauser I’m OK paying a little more to start my collection (this one time that is)

With all that said I do have some questions from anybody that can help me out to give me a little bit more detail on this particular K 98. From my research I believe it’s a Russian capture and with that I’m not sure if everything is “correct”. I’ll post pictures below of any of the details that I can think of.

So once again I’d really appreciate any help from any of the folks who’s been collecting a lot longer than myself. Again many thanks and as I said I’m really happy to be here
and starting my collection.0218DC97-4587-4359-8565-EC708D5CED59.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a Berlin Lubecker 98k. Does look like an R/C from the X on receiver. Am sure the bolt won't match. Others will chime in concerning the scope. Always a thrill getting your first 98k. They do become addictive.

A definite Russian capture. I'd love to see close ups of the stock proofs on the right side buttstock.
After having the barrel off the numbers on the inter-stock suggest it was from 1940

Attachments

• 8E76CF68-95C4-47F4-9859-956EEAA53FE6.jpeg
    8E76CF68-95C4-47F4-9859-956EEAA53FE6.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a Berlin Lubecker 98k. Does look like an R/C from the X on receiver. Am sure the bolt won't match. Others will chime in concerning the scope. Always a thrill getting your first 98k. They do become addictive.
Thank you, that was kind of what I was guessing that it very well may be a hodgepodge of parts.
If anything I would like to get a fair idea on an accurate appraisal of this rifle to see where I came in with how much I paid. I really didn’t negotiate too much on the price seeing as how I was dealing with a trusted gun shop that I have developed a very good working relationship/friendship with.

Can you remove the scope and take a picture of the scope mounting surface on the rifle? Looks to be an adapter installed on the rear sight base for the scope.
The stock is not notched like a factory zf41.
Nonetheless, congratulations on your first Mauser. Stay with us and learn!

Can you remove the scope and take a picture of the scope mounting surface on the rifle? Looks to be an adapter installed on the rear sight base for the scope.
The stock is not notched like a factory zf41.
Nonetheless, congratulations on your first Mauser. Stay with us and learn!

Attachments

• D2076605-F430-4C30-9F5C-ECE83424BB3B.jpeg
    D2076605-F430-4C30-9F5C-ECE83424BB3B.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 24
  • B521FE7F-DF5C-4FF0-BB2F-FB41ACCE4790.jpeg
    B521FE7F-DF5C-4FF0-BB2F-FB41ACCE4790.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 24
Bump? I guess the sum of parts would be a safe way to value this. A common price for an RC is @ $800.00. The scope base is an aftermarket adapter @$100.00 and the scope with mount from $350-$500. Hope that’s what you were looking for

Bump? I guess the sum of parts would be a safe way to value this. A common price for an RC is @ $800.00. The scope base is an aftermarket adapter @$100.00 and the scope with mount from $350-$500. Hope that’s what you were looking for
I appreciate that. Only bumped the thread mainly to get a response on questions that I was asked by other members but thank you again for the quote. Based on those numbers the way it looks I over paid by about 5 to 700 but I’m OK with that. I am pretty happy with the rifle.
That aside speaking on the adapter. I come to understand there’s two schools of thought. That in one there are many people out there that consider all the adapters to be aftermarket/fake and then there’s the other mindset that believe that there were quite a few issued late in the war? I’m sure mines aftermarket. But I am curious to know more about these adopters and whether or not there are any legitimate ones out there.

Military Rifle Journal
Back