Third Party Press

New guy. Need insight

TTM556

Hello everyone.

I am new to the luger world and I really want a nice war Era nazi marked luger for my collection. I know nothing about them. I ordered a book and will be reading it when it gets here.

What should I look for? I do not want to break the bank but I know I will be spending some money. Any insights for a new buyer?

Thank you

phillynick

The Germans stopped making Lugers about the time they were attempting to streamline production for firearms, which means the Lugers have many pieces that are numbered to match. Barrel, frame, slide plates, firing pins, etc and for most, magazines and grips. Finding one with all matching pieces will drive up the price, two matching magazines will sky rocket the price. With all handguns you'll find items in higher condition than most of k98s, so lesser condition drives down pricing quickly. There's also quite a bit of faked serial matching mags just like faked serial matching pieces on the k98ks, so be careful. You should be able to find a s/42 late 1930s Army accepted Luger for a fair price without a matching magazine. Commercial models, police models, Krieghoff made Lugers, reworks (when properly identified) all will be higher in price due to initial production numbers.

TTM556

The Germans stopped making Lugers about the time they were attempting to streamline production for firearms, which means the Lugers have many pieces that are numbered to match. Barrel, frame, slide plates, firing pins, etc and for most, magazines and grips. Finding one with all matching pieces will drive up the price, two matching magazines will sky rocket the price. With all handguns you'll find items in higher condition than most of k98s, so lesser condition drives down pricing quickly. There's also quite a bit of faked serial matching mags just like faked serial matching pieces on the k98ks, so be careful. You should be able to find a s/42 late 1930s Army accepted Luger for a fair price without a matching magazine. Commercial models, police models, Krieghoff made Lugers, reworks (when properly identified) all will be higher in price due to initial production numbers.

Thank you. What should I expect to spend on a non matching army accepted luger?

bayoned

In my neighborhood, a nice but mis-matched WWII era P08 runs around $900-1200.
It depends on overall condition as well as how badly mis-matched.

Military Rifle Journal