Third Party Press

Photos from dad's album

Gerst

I was looking through my collection of photos in my dad's album - he served from 1924 until released from a French POW camp in 1948.

There are photos of Roller coaster Gewehr 98s, Kar.98a, Karab 98b. The 98a's are stacked!

Attachments

• GENERA~1.jpg
    GENERA~1.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Lt. Colonel von Jagov takes the salute from the 12th Infantry Regiment's 8th Company - 1925.jpg
    Lt. Colonel von Jagov takes the salute from the 12th Infantry Regiment's 8th Company - 1925.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 1st Squad of8th ( Machinegun) Company  of the 12th Infantry Regiment at Grafenwoer, Bavaria trai.jpg
    1st Squad of8th ( Machinegun) Company of the 12th Infantry Regiment at Grafenwoer, Bavaria trai.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Guard duty in Berlin - 1930.jpg
    Guard duty in Berlin - 1930.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 52
  • September 1925 - 8 Co 12th Infantry regiment - Maneuvers in the Erz Mountains of central Germany.jpg
    September 1925 - 8 Co 12th Infantry regiment - Maneuvers in the Erz Mountains of central Germany.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Kuestrin - 1936.jpg
    Kuestrin - 1936.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Vati - mounted - and his unit 8 12 IR on the move through town.jpg
    Vati - mounted - and his unit 8 12 IR on the move through town.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 1 May 1933 -  Day of Labor, 1933 Einmarsch nach einer Felduebung - return after field exercises .jpg
    1 May 1933 - Day of Labor, 1933 Einmarsch nach einer Felduebung - return after field exercises .jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 13 September 1932 - 4th Infantry Div maneuvers in Freiberg Saxony - 12th Infantry Regt. NCOs.jpg
    13 September 1932 - 4th Infantry Div maneuvers in Freiberg Saxony - 12th Infantry Regt. NCOs.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 55

Gerst

Thanks for posting, great inter-war pictures of the Reichsheer, is the first one von Seekt doing the inspection?

Nick

Yes, that’s him. My dad is on the picture too. He told me he was very excited. They all were. He’s just behind the x above the machinegun.

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
Yes, thatâs him. My dad is on the picture too. He told me he was very excited. They all were. Heâs just behind the x above the machinegun.
Very cool photos. If only it were possible to have some deep conversations about his experiences. Must have really been something. Thanks for sharing these!

Gerst

Very cool photos. If only it were possible to have some deep conversations about his experiences. Must have really been something. Thanks for sharing these!
Like most veterans, my dad didn't talk much about the war or about his career. He did like to talk about his time in the Reichswehr, before he was married. They had a lot of fun. There was a lot of beer drinking and the NCOs went on vacation trips together, even after they were married! I actually have a semi-complete book about his life as a soldier. My wife, a teacher, was supposed to edit it. Unfortunately, she died in 2015. Now I keep adding to it!

KDF82

Thank you Gerst! I love these photos.. Im happy your dad has shared some of his fonder memories.. Brings the photos to life. My grandfather served in the coastal artillery during the 20s, I just discovered photos of him with his unit on duty and clowning around. He passed in 83 so no back story. Enjoy bringing your dads service to life..

Military Rifle Journal