Third Party Press

DOU 42 K98k Restoration - in progress

I like it too, it’s pretty randy /dandy. You might flip the recoil bolt around as its installed 180 degrees off the mark.

Where did you get the stock, and what did the ‘smith charge for his work?

I'll get that sorted out before I shoot it. I bought the stock and handguard as a set off eBay about 18 months ago for $125 (no idea who made it). My gunsmith charged $500 for everything (removing the old barrel, installing & headspacing the new one, installing the takedown disc, and fitting the wood). It would've probably been cheaper if he hadn't been forced to machine the barrel out of the receiver to remove it (it was frozen in place after 80 years).

OK, the new barrel killed collectability, but you could have at least kept it more correct looking.

As it is now:

- The stock looks like a bleached/sanded slab.
- The cheap ebay takedown disk just looks like a washer stuck in there.
- No idea why you replaced the upped band, but it's wrong for a dou 42
- The new trigger guard is wrong for a k98k

Sorry. I'm all for projects and restorations, but this could have gone better.

OK, the new barrel killed collectability, but you could have at least kept it more correct looking.

As it is now:

- The stock looks like a bleached/sanded slab.
- The cheap ebay takedown disk just looks like a washer stuck in there.
- No idea why you replaced the upped band, but it's wrong for a dou 42
- The new trigger guard is wrong for a k98k

Sorry. I'm all for projects and restorations, but this could have gone better.
I'd have to agree....

I like the before photo better. You'll probably find that most people here are purists, even of the rifle isn't matching/correct, they at least like it to look the part. This one falls short of that. That's my opinion of course.

- No idea why you replaced the upper band, but it's wrong for a dou 42

So I will need to apologize for that one. I just saw your thread where you did ask which band is correct and that the answer for the particular production block of your rifle was a solid band.

As far as the barrel goes, it was either replace it, or have the gun as a wall-hanger. I don't buy any firearm that I don't intend to shoot at least 1 time. As for the other things: the stock is a reproduction, not an original (the one that came on the gun was in very poor condition). I couldn't find an original takedown disk that was the correct size for the replacement stock. And I didn't know that the trigger guard was incorrect for a K98k. Anybody happen to have one that's either numbered "4065" or is unnumbered?

The trigger guard, with the hole for a removable swivel is for a Mauser with a bottom mounted sling, Gew. 98 or Standard Modell for example. Your rifle needs a milled trigger guard without the hole.

As a collector’s forum, it is my opinion/observation that members routinely buy rifles with no intention of shooting them, although most have at least one range rifle, usually a RC or other mixmaster. I understand the desire to have a nice shooter, and if you had started with just a receiver and then added new barrel, stock, bands, etc. you would probably have received more positive comments, but on a collector focused forum you are generally going to get beat up for replacing an original part, even if that part is in poor condition. Candidly if I am looking to add one to the collection, the bore is the last thing I concern myself with, but that is just me, others approach it differently.

Now that you have a nice range rifle, if you want to add to your collection, you can focus on more original examples.

good luck

if he hadn't been forced to machine the barrel out of the receiver to remove it (it was frozen in place after 80 years).

Thats crap. I've been working with k98s for over 53 years and I have NEVER
CAME ACROSS ONE THAT I COULDN'T UNSCREW THE BARREL. It just requires
the proper tools.

I appreciate the honesty and opinions of you all. While I don't regret returning this rifle to serviceable condition, I have decided that I could take the restoration a little bit further to really get it looking right. But I need help... What can I do to color my stock and takedown disc so they more closely resemble a wartime K98?

The trigger guard, with the hole for a removable swivel is for a Mauser with a bottom mounted sling, Gew. 98 or Standard Modell for example. Your rifle needs a milled trigger guard without the hole.

As a collector’s forum, it is my opinion/observation that members routinely buy rifles with no intention of shooting them, although most have at least one range rifle, usually a RC or other mixmaster. I understand the desire to have a nice shooter, and if you had started with just a receiver and then added new barrel, stock, bands, etc. you would probably have received more positive comments, but on a collector focused forum you are generally going to get beat up for replacing an original part, even if that part is in poor condition. Candidly if I am looking to add one to the collection, the bore is the last thing I concern myself with, but that is just me, others approach it differently.

Now that you have a nice range rifle, if you want to add to your collection, you can focus on more original examples.

good luck
Thank you for the information about the trigger guard. I have the proper style of trigger guard on order, and I will be installing it on the rifle when it arrives. This rifle was a mixmaster when I bought it, but I went through it with a fine-tooth comb and replaced the mis-numbered parts with unmarked armorer's units. I went with a reproduction stock because I couldn't afford an original stock at the time, and couldn't find an un-numbered one that hadn't been sanded.

I appreciate the honesty and opinions of you all. While I don't regret returning this rifle to serviceable condition, I have decided that I could take the restoration a little bit further to really get it looking right. But I need help... What can I do to color my stock and takedown disc so they more closely resemble a wartime K98?
As was stated above, none of us are being intentionally mean... at least I don't think so. I know I come off as an a$$ sometimes, probably because I am.

I don't see any photos of what your rifle looks like, but if you do some searching (or maybe someone will provide a link) there are threads about real German oils or stains that are period correct. I'm not a big BLO fan on these K98s but you'll find folks who are. I've used Howards Feed and whatever and I believe Ham also believes in it although I loath to put words in his mouth. I've said that I treated 'problem' stocks with it and after a week or so you couldn't tell I applied anything. My point in that is it does not seem to leave any kind of 'oily' residue. At least in my experience.

On a MINT, untouched stock I'd do nothing.... One someone has already f'd up and bleached or chemically stripped. Yeah

Thank you for the information about the trigger guard. I have the proper style of trigger guard on order, and I will be installing it on the rifle when it arrives. This rifle was a mixmaster when I bought it, but I went through it with a fine-tooth comb and replaced the mis-numbered parts with unmarked armorer's units. I went with a reproduction stock because I couldn't afford an original stock at the time, and couldn't find an un-numbered one that hadn't been sanded.
I hear you. The days of the 250-400 minty, matching stocks and metal are LONG gone.

As was stated above, none of us are being intentionally mean... at least I don't think so. I know I come off as an a$$ sometimes, probably because I am.

I don't see any photos of what your rifle looks like, but if you do some searching (or maybe someone will provide a link) there are threads about real German oils or stains that are period correct. I'm not a big BLO fan on these K98s but you'll find folks who are. I've used Howards Feed and whatever and I believe Ham also believes in it although I loath to put words in his mouth. I've said that I treated 'problem' stocks with it and after a week or so you couldn't tell I applied anything. My point in that is it does not seem to leave any kind of 'oily' residue. At least in my experience.

On a MINT, untouched stock I'd do nothing.... One someone has already f'd up and bleached or chemically stripped. Yeah
1663794490145.JPEG
This is my rifle.

So I will need to apologize for that one. I just saw your thread where you did ask which band is correct and that the answer for the particular production block of your rifle was a solid band.
Apology accepted. Though in hindsight, I should've asked about the trigger guard when I was originally gathering parts for the restoration... It would've saved me having to buy multiple trigger guards before finally getting the proper style.

It looks good. Really good actually. What do you want to do to it? Or was that an older question? If you search you can probably find some discussions regarding Howard's. If you use the gun and take it into the out of doors, you might end up needing to do something. Not really trying to advocate you do anything, it's just something I've done.

It looks good. Really good actually. What do you want to do to it? Or was that an older question? If you search you can probably find some discussions regarding Howard's. If you use the gun and take it into the out of doors, you might end up needing to do something. Not really trying to advocate you do anything, it's just something I've done.
Thank you. Basically, I'd like to get the stock (in particular the takedown disc) to more closely resemble something of WW2 vintage, without having it all beat up and ragged-looking. I don't really take the rifle out of my safe as often as I should, as I need to have my gunsmith do a bit of fitting to the handguard so it doesn't work its way loose. I'm hoping to get that addressed soon so I can take it to the firing line again.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back