Third Party Press

Question about BYF 42 with star on the receiver

Boston399

I just purchased this BYF 42 from a gun shop in another state and it will ship on Friday. It is all matching except the bolt but I had a question about the star on the right side of the receiver below the receiver ring in the photo. It is not on the receiver ring as is the case with French reworks, so what could it mean? I appreciate any and all help.

K98.jpg

Last edited:
byf42

Got it...I have never seen that mark on any Oberndorf issued K98k receiver...especially on the rail.
If the receiver had been out of spec, it would have an additional E/135 acceptance or an "asterisk" stamp.
The only "star" style stamps were used on Chilean contract 1935 carbines.
Refer to Volume I, page 256 on the lower left image of the cocking piece on the S/42 1937 image gallery.
That cocking piece was from a contract run (leftover) and was diverted into military production.

This receiver could have been left over but its only conjecture on my part.

As Jon Speed mentioned in one of our conversations, Mauser never wasted any components and would
use as much inventory as possible, especially during critical delivery periods.

Case in point were the late diverted Banner receivers used in military production in late 1941.

What is the letter block of the rifle?

Last edited:
Got it...I have never seen that mark on any Oberndorf issued K98k receiver...especially on the rail.
If the receiver had been out of spec, it would have an additional E/135 acceptance or an "asterisk" stamp.
The only "star" style stamps were used on Chilean contract 1935 carbines.
Refer to Volume I, page 256 on the lower left image of the cocking piece on the S/42 1937 image gallery.
That cocking piece was from a contract run (leftover) and was diverted into military production.

This receiver could have been left over but its only conjecture on my part.

As Jon Speed mentioned in one of our conversations, Mauser never wasted any components and would
use as much inventory as possible, especially during critical delivery periods.

Case in point were the late diverted Banner receivers used in military production in late 1941.

What is the letter block of the rifle?

Thank you for your reply. Here are some more photos. I have since discovered that it’s a Turkish capture K98 rifle that was imported by Navy Arms Co. in the 80s/90s. Notice the rotated front band. Any idea what the worth may be?
89B4D1ED-A0D6-42BC-AC69-F271CE985ED9.jpg
879BEE45-CC05-40E0-A6EB-020B6549ECE4.jpg
6E0C24AD-F1C1-4293-ABED-E4C00C972B90.jpg
DAE16757-23ED-4294-B9BC-9ECC08ADD20A.jpg

I've seen the star of a French rework on the underside of the bolt root. Traded that untouched rifle away over 40 years ago.
How ignorant I was back then! 🥵

Military Rifle Journal
Back