Third Party Press

Question about the K98v section of Kriegsmodell

I recently took apart my bnz45 and decided to reread your section on Steyr. My question is born from something I misinterpreted in your book regarding the V stamping on receivers and bolts. This caused me to reread the VK98 sections in Desperate Measures.

Weaver noted that there are no serial numbers on K98vs produced by Steyr. Your section (which includes fantastic color photos) notes that there is a serial number 4. I do not see a serial number in the photos of either book.

Also, did you take the photos for this section or did you simply use the photos from Desperate Measures?

We had to rely on photos from Mel Smith for that gun. These are not the photos he sent to Darrin, but taken for us.

Mel made a point to tell us the gun had a serial number on it (Darrins book is wrong). In the photos you can see the "4" , but the forged finish is very rough- note in the top of receiver photo you can see a 4, and the gas shield you can see the 4 on the flat area.

The "V" markings were NOT for the K98v, but rather show up on the Volkssturm Karabiner, or VK98. These are 2 entirely different weapons.

The rifle I show with the V markings on receiver and bolt is not a VK98, but a standard 98k. Some leftover or diverted parts that were marked for VK98 production made it into standard 98k production, and that is what is shown.

I now see the 4 in the photo of the receiver. Odd place for it. Can you thin of a reason for the serial number being in a non-standard area? It would seem deliberate since the gas shield is also stamped with a 4.

I wasn't confused about the V markings. I originally misunderstood a line on page 223 where you stated "It does not denote Volkssturm use." My first thought, was "Yes it does. The V was meant for VK98s." I realized that you meant since it is on a k98 it was simply a left over part.

Not sure why the serial is in such an odd location, but there are not any other experimental Steyr rifles out there so no basis for what is normal for them. It's quite possible the serial was stamped postwar, but I doubt that. It may also be there due to the roughness of the forging made it easier to see? I guess that is a question lost to time.

Military Rifle Journal
Back