Third Party Press

Rescuing a sporterized Kar98b?

chrisftk

Staff member
If you can get it down in the $500 range, due to the matching metal work I would pick it up.

Being as rare as it is. . . . Some guys might say more.
I agree there, it's worth having. Matching bolts are a big win on 98b

AN-94

Well, I was out all week on a business trip but I stopped in today and picked it up for $560. Only modification to the metal was a small grind to the follower to remove the bolt hold open but didn't notice until I had gotten home. Not how I envisioned getting my first German Mauser but I guess I'm starting off with an uncommon one. Taking it apart only confirmed that it was once all matching but I will need a stock set, front and rear bands, a buttplate, a cleaning rod, and the bolt takedown disc now to restore it. Bubba varnished the wood with the action in the stock so now I'm cleaning the varnish that he slathered on the action. Does anyone know what the star on the receiver indicates?

Attachments

• 20221119_122411.jpg
    20221119_122411.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221119_122340.jpg
    20221119_122340.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221119_122242.jpg
    20221119_122242.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221119_122320.jpg
    20221119_122320.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221119_122302.jpg
    20221119_122302.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 13

chrisftk

Staff member
Well, I was out all week on a business trip but I stopped in today and picked it up for $560. Only modification to the metal was a small grind to the follower to remove the bolt hold open but didn't notice until I had gotten home. Not how I envisioned getting my first German Mauser but I guess I'm starting off with an uncommon one. Taking it apart only confirmed that it was once all matching but I will need a stock set, front and rear bands, a buttplate, a cleaning rod, and the bolt takedown disc now to restore it. Bubba varnished the wood with the action in the stock so now I'm cleaning the varnish that he slathered on the action. Does anyone know what the star on the receiver indicates?
A very worthy save! If a 98b stock pops up anywhere, you'll be the first to know. Looking forward to the full spread.

luftpirate

I always question how and why people thought this was an improved aesthetic over what was there originally.

20221106_155509.jpg

Fal Grunt

Good to hear you were able to pick it up.

I have handled many a sporter that I had to wonder how and why the owner thought it was an improvement. However, I have to remind myself, there were many a veteran who grew up in a dirt floor, one room shack, prior to WWII. There perspective was quite different than hours. I was fortunate enough to meet many from the generation that served, and they spanned the spectrum from true custom rifle connoisseurs to farm boy types that thought a rifle was simply a hammer.

AN-94

A very worthy save! If a 98b stock pops up anywhere, you'll be the first to know. Looking forward to the full spread.
Thanks! I just hope to find a stock set that's unsanded. Otherwise, I might go with a Fox Military stock since a brand new stock would nearly match the appearance of the metal in terms of condition. Need parts with E/6 waffenamt now.

I always question how and why people thought this was an improved aesthetic over what was there originally.
I know, it just looks tacky and poorly done and adds weight back to the stock they chopped to save weight. I might try my luck at removing the filler just to see if I can.

Military Rifle Journal