Third Party Press

Russian Capture Question

Jkrem

So, I have been working on the bore of my ar 43 Russian capture rifle for about a week to try and brighten it up. It has very strong rifling but it’s dark and I can see some roughness. It shoots better than my old eyes can hold it, 2-3” at 100 yards off a rest. After 4 treatments with nylon and bronze brushes and Kroil following 24 and 48 hour soaks, I’m still getting thick brown and black out of it. Did the Soviets blue the inside and the outside of the barrels over the corrosion and whatever else was in/on there? Objective is to stabilize any remaining corrosion, and then maintain it. Quit, or keep going? Thanks.

How are patches looking when you just clean it normally?

I have no idea if the Soviets got that black finish inside the bores or not, but some of those bores are just really, really dark. I've got a 42 1939 RC that shoot's great but I've never, ever seen a patch come out truly clean. Doubly so if we're going to talk about copper fouling. I've long since given up trying to get some of my surplus barrels spotless. As long as I'm not seeing active rust in them I figure they're good to go.

I've also got a cheap borescope I picked up off amazon a while back that I use to take a look at the inside of the barrel (and gas port if applicable) once every couple of years. They're useful tools and can alleviate a lot of angst about barrel condition, or clue you into a problem if one's developing.

“How are patches looking when you just clean it normally? “

Black, just not as black as with Kroil. I usually use Hopes #9 and Balestol to clean.

I don’t have any corks to fill up the barrel, but I’m going to wet it down well and leave it for a week while I’m on vacation next week.

Have you tried WipeOut? Comes in foam and liquid. I use both, depending on how bad the bore. The liquid is works really well for me. Just plug the muzzle with a couple of cleaning patches, remove bolt. Put the rifle standing up, muzzle down in a small bowl and fill the bore with wipeout. Leave it for several days. You’ll be amazed at what comes out the bore.

I know it's a pain but you can keep pulling black out of a really dark bore for a LONG time. I've been amazed myself just how long it keeps coming. I've used Bore Bright that my buddy had with good results too.

I know it's a pain but you can keep pulling black out of a really dark bore for a LONG time. I've been amazed myself just how long it keeps coming. I've used Bore Bright that my buddy had with good results too.
I’ve never tried the Bore Bright. Works good??

I attempted to clean a rotten mosin bore a couple years ago. Plugged the muzzle and filled the bore and receiver with pb blaster for better than two months. It helped.

Plug the muzzle. Pour Birchwood Casey #77 black powder solvent into the breech end until the bore and chamber are full. Allow to stand upright, muzzle down overnight. Remove the plug and drain. Swab out with clean patches. If this doesn't remove the last of the fouling, it can't be removed!

Military Rifle Journal
Back