Third Party Press

S/42G Bolt M/M SoS Find

First show of shows, even though I was in at noon on Thursday, must have taken the correct route. This had not been snached up yet. Was on a nice older couples table with a few assorted rifles.

Himmed and hawed at the price. Ended up discussing where it had come from, older gentleman brought it in at the last Delaware OH show, they had bought it. Based my negotiations of that, felt comfortable giving them a little over $300 profit.

Its a Bolt M/M but other then that it looks pretty prime. Takedown disc and bolt cutout maybe sanded a bit but the proofs where left untouched. I would give a healthy guess its a bring back. One thing I found of intrest, the front set of locking screws had the K 167 proofs and the back had droop eagle proofs.

Happy to say my budding k98k collection is started. A 1935, 1940 sporter rescue, and a Feb 1945 all from the Ober Mauser factory. I feel real official now.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable SoS, thanks to Terrill for introducing me to Bruce. Bruce thanks for giving it a look over, glad to have somewhat developed the "Eye" of being able to spot the legit ones. A rewarding hobby to say the lease.

Last edited:

Cav Trooper 19D

Scouts Out!
V
First show of shows, even though I was in at noon on Thursday, must have taken the correct route. This had not been snached up yet. Was on a nice older couples table with a few assorted rifles.

Himmed and hawed at the price. Ended up discussing where it had come from, older gentleman brought it in at the last Delaware OH show, they had bought it. Based my negotiations of that, felt comfortable giving them a little over $300 profit.

Its a Bolt M/M but other then that it looks pretty prime. Takedown disc and bolt cutout maybe sanded a bit but the proofs where left untouched. I would give a healthy guess its a bring back. One thing I found of intrest, the front set of locking screws had the K 167 proofs and the back had droop eagle proofs.

Happy to say my budding k98k collection is started. A 1935, 1940 sporter rescue, and a Feb 1945 all from the Ober Mauser factory. I feel real official now.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable SoS, thanks to Terrill for introducing me to Bruce. Bruce thanks for giving it a look over, glad to have somewhat developed the "Eye" of being able to spot the legit ones. A rewarding hobby to say the lease.

Very cool! I love all the beautiful punched stamps and minute variations of these early rifle stocks (of course the metal as well).
Note: might want to edit the title to S/42 G instead of S/142 G

tbied2

i talk to a lot of people at the shows. always try to help new guys meet forum members ........ collecting can be an addictive & intoxicating hobby ...

Military Rifle Journal