Third Party Press

stamped on butt stock

mpkills

Just wondering if anyone has seen this stamped on a K98 before. Supposedly it says a town in Tunisia and and French farmer????

2021-05-14_020.jpg2021-05-14_008_1 (1).jpg

mpkills

Thanks, I think the rifle in the other thread is the one I just purchased. I thought it was kinda odd that a FRENCH farmer in TUNISA??? Two different countries if my geography is correct????

capt14k

#doomandgloom
Thanks, I think the rifle in the other thread is the one I just purchased. I thought it was kinda odd that a FRENCH farmer in TUNISA??? Two different countries if my geography is correct????
Lol. Pretty sure there are others. Unless I have just seen the same rifle over the years.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

hale1940

Yes, but Tunisia was a French protectorate up until 1956. At one time there was pretty large populations of ethnically French people living throughout North Africa. Since, from Libya west, it was basically all part of the French Empire from about the mid 19th to mid 20th century.

mpkills

I received this rifle, which is the one in the other thread. BCD 42. The bolt is stamped, but the other parts on the bolt are not serial numbered, such as safety and others. Is this correct for a H block BCD? The stock is correct and bands are numbered. Any help would be appreciated. I'll be sending it back if the parts not numbered are armor parts or what???

Last edited:

Herk1994

I received this rifle, which is the one in the other thread. BCD 42. The bolt is stamped, but the other parts on the bolt are not serial numbered, such as safety and others. Is this correct for a H block BCD? The stock is correct and bands are numbered. Any help would be appreciated. I'll be sending it back if the parts not numbered are armor parts or what???

Bolt parts should be numbered. Any inspection marks on the parts? Pictures are a necessity here to assess the parts in question.

Could be armory replacements, in which case I’d be more inclined to keep the rifle. Armory replacement parts are more interesting to me than all matching parts in many cases.

mpkills

Here's a couple of pictures,

Attachments

• IMG_3488.jpg
    IMG_3488.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3489.jpg
    IMG_3489.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3490.jpg
    IMG_3490.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3489.jpg
    IMG_3489.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 33

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
t
Trying to educate myself, How do you tell ? I'm sending it back! Thanks a million.
So this rifle assembler made use of subcontracted parts which were all marked with the letter code for the supplier. They also would be numbered at this time. Common bolt shroud are e for Hermann Kohler. They also made many of the other parts. Some other subs only made 1 or 2 parts. Check the picture reference section.

Jakeman664

Assuming the stamp is legit, could it not be (as French issued) correct with the post war striker? France used the 98k after the war so would of had replacement parts, could have been done on the mainland or in country if it broke in use.

Military Rifle Journal