Third Party Press

Terni Front Sight Hood M41 Carcano 1943/1944 With Interesting Front Sight

Mike2994

I purchased this late '43 or early '44 front sight hood Terni M41 before SOS last year on an online auction and hadn't had a chance to dig it out for photos til now. This has characteristics of a normal FSH M41 (with 98k FSH instead of 33/40) except for the front sight base with no import marks. The FSB has been milled to accept a front sight from the front rather than from the side as most M41 sights are (this sight is pushed in from the side). This does not look like German quality work on the FSB, it looks to be Italian in quality to me. On the other hand it does look like the work of a home "gunsmith" as well. The front sight looks extremely similar to the one on my M38 Ferlach conversion. I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts on the front sight or if anyone has seen work similar to this an M41 with a FSH.

IMG-7170 (1).jpgIMG-7171 (1).jpgIMG-7172 (1).jpgIMG-7173 (1).jpgIMG-7174 (1).jpgIMG-7175 (1).jpg

IMG-7176 (2).jpgIMG-7177 (2).jpgIMG-7178 (2).jpgIMG-7179 (2).jpg

Pat

Staff member
Interesting. It's in the observed serial number range for these but odd that it seems to be cut for a K98k style hood specifically, as you mentioned. I've seen photos of this specific rifle in the past, but can't remember from what.

Mike2994

Interesting. It's in the observed serial number range for these but odd that it seems to be cut for a K98k style hood specifically, as you mentioned. I've seen photos of this specific rifle in the past, but can't remember from what.
The auction was on Proxibid, you may have seen it on there. There was a couple M41s cut for FSHs that came up on auction sites around the time I purchased this.

Reactions: Pat

Military Rifle Journal