Third Party Press

This a good deal? - G43 with duffle cut - what's wrong with it??

The exposed duffle cut is the biggest killer with this rifle and the missing sight hood. When I collected G/K43 rifles any stock issues was the kiss of death with them it just kills the value. About 9 out of 10 G/K43 rifles I have seen have had stock issues sanded stocks are the biggest problem or overly cleaned. If this rifle had no problems it would sell for $4000 IMO to the right collectors. A matching duffle cut stock and missing hood maybe $2850-$3000 but it would be a hard sale. Collectors hate rifles with problems the biggest selling point with this rifle is that duffle cut. It tells a story but it is an eye sore to many. But I think anyone would be happy to find a matching G/K43 for under $2000 plus premiums.

Last edited:
The exposed duffle cut is the biggest killer with this rifle and the missing sight hood. When I collected G/K43 rifles any stock issues was the kiss of death with them it just kills the value. About 9 out of 10 G/K43 rifles I have seen have had stock issues sanded stocks are the biggest problem or overly cleaned. If this rifle had no problems it would sell for $4000 IMO to the right collectors. A matching duffle cut stock and missing hood many $2850-$3000 but it would be a hard sale. Collectors hate rifles with problems the biggest selling point with this rifle is that duffle cut. It tells a story but it is an eye sore to many. But I think anyone would be happy to find a matching G/K43 for under $2000 plus premiums.
thanks pal, great response!

Absolutely. That rifle was actually a pretty good buy in todays market.

Yeah, the last time I saw a G/K go for anything under $2,000 (ignoring the buyer's premium on that auction) it was a bolt carrier m/m (matching bolt though, which is nice if only from the standpoint of being more secure that it will probably headspace OK) sitting in a reproduction stock.

I must be going tp the wrong shows because any G/K. 43s dropped off the radar long ago. Even at Tulsa, there are very few and prices are both high and firm, regardless of condition.

So with BP and S/H and Tax it went for around ~$2500 which is about inline for current market prices for something like this. It would make a good shooter, if you got the stock fixed, as others here previously mentioned we have some great woodworkers here on the forums. Just slap a repo good sight on it.

The reason the duffle cut is joined like that is because most likely the initial cut, down in Europe with a miter box wasn't straight. It could be fixed by just positioning the cut portion of the duffle stock over a table saw blade, upside down and ran through the blade on a sled. Then you can dowel it. Luckily it isn't mitered, those are harder.

Did you get it?

Is that the bottom of the action cover? If so that is correct! They were stamped and what looks like a "crack" at the 6' o'clock position is simply a stamping seam and should not be repaired as that would actually decrease the value of the rifle. Now if you have similar 'cracks' on the rear of the receiver that is a concern. Weaver's book discusses this in detail. As a rookie collector over 10x years ago I repaired one of these action covers - only to realize that I was a nit wit.

Is that the bottom of the action cover? If so that is correct! They were stamped and what looks like a "crack" at the 6' o'clock position is simply a stamping seam and should not be repaired as that would actually decrease the value of the rifle. Now if you have similar 'cracks' on the rear of the receiver that is a concern. Weaver's book discusses this in detail. As a rookie collector over 10x years ago I repaired one of these action covers - only to realize that I was a nit wit.
That is a rear receiver crack

***OP UPDATE*** I sent the housing off to Apfeltor for repair and the Auction company is actually paying for it! - I need to do a shoutout to Milestone Auctions and "Miles" for being great about it and paying, they are on Proxibid often. Crossing fingers it is an easy repair and I get to shoot it before the snow shows up!

Like Apfeltor doesn’t know any better.. but he sure would take in the work huh. Makes you wonder how many of these “cracks” he’s fixed.

Military Rifle Journal
Back