Third Party Press

Update on FG42 from SMG Guns

I just got back from the dealer. My hands almost shake from holding it, it’s so beautiful. I took one photo, but can take more if people want it. I went with mostly blued finish, real walnut with light stain, and the non polished bolt, rear adjustable sight, and I got a bayonet completed with it too. This is beautiful. The case is really nice too, and held up well in shipping. This is worth the wait.

Again, the order for this TII was reserved in late December 2019, received at the dealer February 9th 2023.

Attachments

• 0558E214-DF0D-4841-B88B-653B9AEEFDDE.jpeg
    0558E214-DF0D-4841-B88B-653B9AEEFDDE.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Dang, that's great! So glad to see a delivery, even if it isn't mine. What a long wait you had.
Thanks for your post.

Mine is supposed to get here next week, and I CANNOT WAIT. Four weeks ago I was at a gun show in Virginia, and I stumbled upon an original two piece scope mount (NOT an Estes Adams) complete with its ddx “L” marked scope. I believe the dealer thought it was a G43 scope and mount, and he had it priced accordingly. There are STILL finds out there. I also can’t believe that it was still there halfway through Saturday with nobody snagging it.

Attachments

• AFA9A821-304B-47D6-A5F9-9E34AC8F6865.jpeg
    AFA9A821-304B-47D6-A5F9-9E34AC8F6865.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 49
I had a chance this morning to fit my original L marked ZF4 scope on a reproduction mount. I was not fortunate to find an Estes mount, and definitely not as lucky as kkrad to find an original mount. I purchased a swallow tail mount manufactured by Lawerence Talbott in 2020 and received it in 2021. It’s high quality and provides a nice snug fit and looks great.

Attachments

• C8B908A5-1738-4D12-AEEB-8EE99B3F65A9.jpeg
    C8B908A5-1738-4D12-AEEB-8EE99B3F65A9.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: b98
@SheerDumbLuck I picked up my FG42 today and LOVE it. I have the same repro scope mount as you, as well as my original, but cannot figure out how to attach either of them - is there a trick to do it?

Show us a photo!

The tolerances between the mount and the gun are pretty tight. I first loosened both screws on the mount. There is a notch on the rifles scope mount rail that you will ease the forward half of the scope mount on. Once you slip that through the notch, you can slide the scope forward and slip the rear portion of the mount until you can turn the cam to lock the mount in place.

I have one scope for each mount. Tge original mount has an original “L” marked scope (the originals have the scope welded into the rings), and therepro mount has a Meopta scope on it. I will never shoot with the original set-up, but I plan on shooting with the repro set-up. The butt stock is laminated, and the hand guard is walnut. I’m going to strip the varnish off of the wood and give them a hand rubbed oil finish more like the originals.

I just go my Type II in today! Man, it is a piece of art. I also have one of Rick's Type 1s and they are both just so amazing. Well worth the wait and the cost. I will post pics in the next couple days. I'm also planning on doing an in-depth video on my YouTube channel and I'll post the link to that when it is done as well.

I just go my Type II in today! Man, it is a piece of art. I also have one of Rick's Type 1s and they are both just so amazing. Well worth the wait and the cost. I will post pics in the next couple days. I'm also planning on doing an in-depth video on my YouTube channel and I'll post the link to that when it is done as well.
I’d love to see a comparison of the two in that video.

Very jealous, hope I get mine soon! I can hardly wait anymore

What's your YT channel? I have one as well and was planning to make an unboxing video, on top of lots of other content once I receive my T-I with optic and mount. I have a video up on the channel now that details all the accessories I've aquired while I've been waiting since August of 2020. My YT is Gunstorian!

Military Rifle Journal
Back