Third Party Press

Well used Soldbuch with lots of entries.

mnguy62

Thought some might find this of interest. If I read this correctly this guy saw a lot of action.

Attachments

• Scan_0004.jpg
    Scan_0004.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 47
  • SCAN2.jpeg
    SCAN2.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 47
  • SCAN3.jpg
    SCAN3.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 43
  • SCAN4.jpg
    SCAN4.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 41
  • SCAN5.jpg
    SCAN5.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 39
  • SCAN6.jpg
    SCAN6.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 32
  • SCAN7.jpg
    SCAN7.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 25
  • SCAN8.jpg
    SCAN8.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 24
  • SCAN9.jpg
    SCAN9.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 21
  • SCAN10.jpg
    SCAN10.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 20
  • SCAN11.jpg
    SCAN11.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 20
  • SCAN12.jpg
    SCAN12.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 46
Interesting Soldbuch.
It is a so called "Zweitschrift", second issue example, you didn't show page two, so I have no clue when this one was issued.
What I can read between the lines is that he most likely served from the start of the war until the winter of 1942/43 in logistical or administrative units (Stab) on the Easternfront.
When the tide turns and the Red Army goes in the offensive he gets WIA and earns also an EKII and an ISA. Normal because troops who are usually in the rear now all of a sudden also end up on the frontline.
After he is fully recovered, that is when the Battle of the Bulge is over, at the very end of January 1945, he finally ends up with the Feldersatz Btl of the12th Volksgrenadier Division, this is the reserve unit of a division, men of it are used to fill up gaps in units and sometimes also the frontline, despite the word "Ersatz" it is an active unit; the 12VGD is one of the better WH Infantry Division but after the BoB only a shadow of its former self.
In the so called battle for the Ruhr pocket, his WIA for a second time (shrapnel) in March '45, the wound isn't severe and he remains with his unit.
He is also awarded with the EKI, despite what you might think when you visit a militaria show and you see them everywhere, the EKI is a high award.
After the war he is treated for his 1945 wound in a hospital in Thuringen.

To sum it up, a nice battle for the Ruhr Pocket Soldbuch, congratulations.

Here's page 2 which I missed first time around. Pages were stuck together. Peter thanks so much for the great information. Really appreciated!!

Attachments

• PAGE2.jpg
    PAGE2.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 17

Military Rifle Journal
Back