Third Party Press

Whoa that’s expensive.

M1903A3

Keeper of the Def's Head
7BFC0694-EF3C-45F6-841B-E9F0EE02F528.jpeg
Wow, these are really going up in price, I’m seeing prices regularly around 400 dollars for nice sets of all vintages.

Yes, prices are on the rise for S84/98 III and Ks98 bayonets. The earlier produced S84/98 I and II have not seen as high of a rise as of yet, but then not as many of those come up for sale as a type III. Often the seller has no idea what their bayonet is and see a type I or II as a non-matching set even if they are in their correct/original scabbard. These sellers are sellers not collectors, they see a bayonet and see $$$ with no understanding of condition. To them all bayonets are WWII K98 bayonets no matter what year or country that used/made them.
The Ks98 market is getting just as bad sadly. It has been my go to for a couple of years now for a fair priced bayonet fix. That is over as well for the most part. I still watch for variations I do not have or uncommon makers and hope some bid happy buyer has missed it.
A starting price of $250 (or more) for a non matching,sharpened S84/98 III is just absurd, as is a "buy it now" of $1200 for a common Eickhorn Ks98
Imo it will only get worse and see no return to how it used to be any time soon, if ever.

Seems some go nuts and others stay cheap. Just the way of it. But in general everything is up, but I can’t see it being permanent.

Seems some go nuts and others stay cheap. Just the way of it. But in general everything is up, but I can’t see it being permanent.
Hope you are right. The thing is the amount of good condition matching bayonets is getting smaller. Buyers ( not necessarily collectors) are snatching them up as an investment to sell for more in the future. They will want more for resale and unless things change there will be buyers who will pay. Collecting anything can be a gamble. Just glad I got out of muscle cars and old Harley Davidsons. What is to become of them when government enforced electric is the law?

Did anyone see the interview with the current secretary of energy, Jennifer Granholm recently?
The interviewer asked about the future of classic cars & motorcycles, viv-a-vis availability of suitable motor fuels, the secretary got this really evil look on her face, (reminiscent of Elizabeth Warren) and said something about trying out the acceleration of electric motorcycles, completely dodging the interviewer’s question. I ride & race vintage bikes, already have to leave the county to buy non-ethanol gas for them, have 3 street bikes & 1 race bike plus a pile of parts……
all to become scrap metal for the transfer station?? The bikes in question, 1970s BMW twins, have been rising steadily in price though not as high as Brit bikes, which no one races because they’re too valuable (for now).
There are fewer & fewer 70s bmws for sale, recently a rebuilt 900 sold after 1 day on local craigslist, for 2X its original msrp! I still view these as vehicles more than collectibles, but hey, I’m old………

Happy to hear! I never think of my1973 BMW R75/5 as an investment, but maybe I need to keep up on current prices! Sadly just winterized till spring.

Does no one here see the single SS rune below the "3" on the scabbard??? My guess is this is why the bayonet went so high. As for it being real...

Thats a part of carving on scabbard, so i asssume its not a rune but a carving that looks similar.

Thats a part of carving on scabbard, so i asssume its not a rune but a carving that looks similar.
I copied the photo and looked at it through my PC's enhancement program. It does look very much like a single rune, and the angles of the marking are quite aligned. Also noted of the metal scratches around the frog stud boss, this one is not showing white metal. However, there is a dink on one spot and the upper arm of the symbol appears to be just a bit longer. So, will agree upon further examination it is probably not a rune. However, the marking might have contributed to the strong bid the bayonet received. Had a couple Steyr K98ks with the single-rune stamping on them (back in the 1980s). One had it on the receiver and another on the floorplate (and not long ago sold a floorplate so marked that had not seen the light of day in decades for a friend).

If there are SS contract bayonet scabbards then that’s news to me!! I hope nobody actually thought that was what was going on with this piece. To me, no matter what, this price is outrageous, even for a collector trying to fill a gap in their collection. This is RC K98 price territory!!!

Has no SS link with this marking, same as there are various carving around the frog hook. This is a normal Wehrmacht contract piece.

More craziness:

A34DF78F-9D3E-4B78-B010-D57D3A4B745A.jpeg
A6487507-A500-4378-8CDD-6BEEFA49DBFF.jpeg
0A220175-0B09-408C-AC6E-EA24B371061A.jpeg
To me, that 44cqh is worth more than either one of the other sets, mismatched or not!!
Craziness.

Important to say how are the bayonets in origin condition, origin blueing or so, the Mundlos could be interesting to see details. Anyway prices over 200 for matching pieces are now probably on normal size same as the frog You should add too 70-100 to the price of bayonet.

lol, so you all are saying I should have grabbed the 14 matching k98 nice condition--not up to CanadianAR level of condition standards--bayonets that were going for 100-150 apiece at this auction I was at in 2019? Too bad I was there for the JGA DSM34 and couldn't get my dad to lend me some $$$ We'd be rich.

People are getting priced out of the K98 market; So, now they are doing exactly the same thing to the bayonet market, which is what drove the k98 $$$ up--bidding POS bayos into oblivion. They will only go up, not down. These are not collectors buying them, it's "investors", holding onto trash they know they will be able to sell to some fool on ebay in 2 years.

But it's okay, I am going to win the lotto any day now and the first thing I will do is buy CanadianARs collection and I will be set for life and won't have to deal with this ebay nonsense.

This:
People are getting priced out of the K98 market; So, now they are doing exactly the same thing to the bayonet market, which is what drove the k98 $$$ up--bidding POS bayos into oblivion. They will only go up, not down. These are not collectors buying them, it's "investors", holding onto trash they know they will be able to sell to some fool on ebay in 2 years.

Yes, prices are on the rise for S84/98 III and Ks98 bayonets. The earlier produced S84/98 I and II have not seen as high of a rise as of yet, but then not as many of those come up for sale as a type III. Often the seller has no idea what their bayonet is and see a type I or II as a non-matching set even if they are in their correct/original scabbard.

Agree completely on this. Bruce's reprinted book on the early bayonets may change that market as well. Although I'm not sure the folks running these prices up even buy/read the books.

Check this one out:
B822BDDD-604E-42AE-B692-7AF139FD14FE.jpeg
Now I know this is not a common maker and it’s a nice set but almost 1100 dollars??

Military Rifle Journal
Back