Third Party Press

WW II use of the Model 71 or Model 71/84

Blackpowderresearcher

In late 1945, Germany was desperate to provide arms to the Volksturm. Foreign arms were used. I've never seen any documentation, but was the old blackpowder Model 71 or Model 71/84 pressed into service during the waning days of the Third Reich? TIA.

Rutche

I would also be very very interested in knowing. I wonder if any photos are available.

I would assume though that Germany had so many captured weapons from early in the War + Italian, and Older German Gewehr 98's that hey would've had enough in storage, but this is only presumption

Stan

I would have thought that most of the Mod. 71, 71/84 and Gew 88's in inventory still would have been the first to get destroyed by treaty restrictions after WW1. Plenty of more modern Beutewaffen to hand out to the Volkssturm.

chrisftk

Well there could always be exceptions, or isolated instances, I do not believe these were deployed at all after World War I ( Where they saw Landwehr or rural police use). To the earlier point, I believe the 71 and 88 series rifles still in government hands would have been destroyed very soon after World War I or sold off.

Loewe

Moderator²
Staff member
I would have thought that most of the Mod. 71, 71/84 and Gew 88's in inventory still would have been the first to get destroyed by treaty restrictions after WW1. Plenty of more modern Beutewaffen to hand out to the Volkssturm.

This is actually stated in IAMCC reports, also the arms collection of 1920 (disarming the people - which was only military weapons, some "historians" like to exaggerate the purpose or results, it was not a great success, though it did produce some dramatic exceptions!) Naturally the Germans (authorities) disposed garbage or obsolete at every opportunity, especially it would seem when ammunition requirements would limit the rifles suitability.

As for VS use, doesn't seem like this would be very reasonable, even for nazis, but extremism recognizes no limitations on their actions, no consequences or responsibility take precedence to its perpetuation or survival, - if a gauleiter found a 71 or 71/84 without ammunition he would certainty order some 15 year old boy to challenge or resist the Red Army with it (though out of nazi decency he would order a sharpened butter knife welded to the barrel for the last hurrah...)

Military Rifle Journal