Third Party Press

ZF4 On GSG STG-44

Drums101

Registered
Hey Guys,

I signed up to forums to get your thoughts on adding a zf4 scope and mount on my GSG STG. I have read a few threads on this site so I kind of have a sense on how you feel regarding the GSG STG-44. I unfortunately am not lucky enough to have a real STG nor one of those semi-auto copies that were made many years back so the 22LR is the best I am going to get for now.

I was looking to pick up a repro ZF4 scope and mount so that I could put it on my Gewehr 43 and the thought occurred to me it would be really cool to be able to mount it on my GSG STG-44 as well. So I did some research and discovered that the originals were mounted on a rail that was spot welded onto the receiver. See below photo. So did some digging and found the DK production group that has been mentioned on this forum and they make the rail section that is added onto the STG receiver to accept the zf4 mount.

My question is does anyone have any ideas on how to attach the rail section onto the GSG receiver? I know its a zinc alloy so I would guess spot welding is out?

I know this is a very costly modification on a $500 22LR but it would take the fun factor up through the roof for me. Let me know what your thoughts are on this. I haven't been able to find any posts where someone has done this exact setup before. Thanks!

Attachments

• ptr44r.jpg
    ptr44r.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 35
JB weld would be my choice in your situation. Make sure both mounting surfaces are completely clean and degreased. Use care and test cleaner on weapons finish in a hidden place. Not familiar with a GSG so If the weapon is painted, I would locate the mount exactly where you want it and tape off the area, remove paint for highest bond.

Last edited:
It makes more sense to use a STANAG mount and split rings to hold the ZF4. The .22 rifle is made from Zamak, similar to the stuff old carburetors were made from. Brittle, not suited for welding, soldering or tapping.

Hey Ya'll,
Just joined the forum. I bought my GSG STG-44 a month ago. I love it!!!!!!!! It's everything and more. I did about 3 months of reviewing and learning the ins and outs of this weapon... Now, i knew plenty about the original .9 mm WW2 version and this one is JUST like it except of course the cal. and fully auto. I took it to the range with both my sons. It does shoot high from factory. (which i knew from the reviews. The windage was off just one click left. But, I sighted windage @ 25 yards. Perfect. Elevation was done at 50 yrds. I've set it on 700 meters. (which in the real world is 70 yards) I am going to raise the rear sight per a great shim trick.. Just remove, add two 1/8 " half square washers, re installed the rear sight and it should be dead on at 50 yards. with no elevation to 700 M needed.. I love the Mag. It's plastic and some metal but, works awesomely.. You can also adjust the trigger weight and includes a wrench to use. The cleaning is a breeze!!! I broke it down is 20 seconds. But, watch out for the bolt spring when you release the trigger group.... lol
First time at the range, we shot 150 rds. (That's all the HV I had)... Not one issue at all. Second time we put 300 rds thru it. All it did was hit it with gun slick and it was clean... I did use different ammo to see how it performs. I used HV first. (its' made for HV only. However, it used Federal Bulk .22 and it worked fine. However the accuracy is 10 times better with HV. I use Either CCI Velocitors but mainly Winchester Hyper Velocity @ 1,435 fps. Hollow point. I still have not done a FULL trial run with it but, seems like it will do well.
Also, very important!!!!!>>>>>>Go ahead and get the Sling for it. You will need it. Two choices. One, is an exact (made for same pattern) STG-44 Sling. Or you can order and original K98-k rifle sling. (that's what they used during ww2 due to supply problems) Plus they had millions already.. I like the STG-44 sling because it easy to remove and adjust. The k-98 has a keeper and is somewhat cumbersome in my opinion.. Plz Note: >>>>>>>>> This is a 100 % German Made weapon. This weapon especially is what I would call an "ambi" rifle. In other words, when you first pick it up and use/operate it you will think it's a Left Handed Rifle..... It's not!!! Although, a lot has to be done with the left hand.. Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting this great weapon. Oh!!! Get plenty of Mags.. They are few and expensive. But get them now, there won't be many left in the future..
This weapon is so good, that I will use this weapon as home defense, hunting and just plain fun!!! You may say "A .22 LR as self defense??? Yes Indeed!!! At 25 to 50 yrds., It's deadly for anyone approaching that shouldn't be. And running Hyper V Hollow Points ? Deadly.. Hope I never have to use it in that way but, if I had to, I would feel confident indeed. NOTE: I also have my Springfield 1911 A1 and others to help in "need" lol

Thanks,
Chocolate Jack

Military Rifle Journal
Back