Third Party Press

Photos of recently bought K98k with turrets

Tonight I got my wife to do some photos for me of my recently purchased K98k with turret mounts. As you will notice I haven't bothered to clean off the grit and grime yet. Perhaps you guys can give me some insight as to year of manufacture, high or low turret, etc. So far I've found that the front barrel band/sling holder has a different number than the rest and so does the stock. Everything else seems to match for what its supposed to be by the books I have on hand. Remember I'm more a shooter than hard-core collector.

First is a full length shot:

K98kturret023.jpg

Next is a shot of the receiver with serial numbers and the rear mount.

K98kturret003.jpg

And now a shot of rear mount from side

K98kturret005.jpg

Here is a pix of the front turret - dog hair came after purchase.

K98kturret010.jpg

Here's a top view of the front turret

K98kturret015.jpg

Here's the sling/barrel band (don't know the exact nomenclature. It's number is 221 in case you can't make it out.

K98kturret013.jpg

Here's a photo of the buttplate and the numbers stamped into the stock. By the way the floorplate and trigger guard have matching numbers but I forgot to get a photo of them.

K98kturret018.jpg

And finally just for the fun of it, here's a photo of a trio of other German World War II firearms from my modest "shooting" collection. They're a 1937 Sauer & Sohn K98k, a 1941 MP40, and a 1944 MP44.

photobucket004-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. I hope you all can give me some information. I'd love to add a turret mount K98k to my collection if I can just fine a scope/mounts, etc.

Mike V.

Yes, a pawn shop here in Montana. I'm hot after a scope now. I fired a few rounds to see if it actually worked and it fired fine with no signs of excessive headspace. Got any ideas about this?

By the way, were your friends the fellow and son from Oklahoma?

Mike V.

A correct period scope will be easy enough to come by and a set of repro rings that will function with the turrets can be had from Robert Spielauer

An authentic scope ring combo will be another matter entirely...not saying they cant be found ,but it could take awhile and be rather pricey....

If you are a shooter I woulod go the route of a period scope with repro rings for shooting and if you come by an authentic pair keep them for display/resale purposes.

It is possible that a period scope could implode on you....I know ...it happened to me....and you dont want that to happen to an authentic piece of sniper glass.

Its a byf ...as far as the year the bands would indicate most likely a 43 but you said it was a different # on it so it could be a 44...if its a 43 it would most likely be a LT ... a 44 a HT. but an expert I am not.

I cant discern the diiference between the HT/LT ...but Dave roberts will come along and and define it for you.

Nice pick up...congrats

Last edited:
By the way... a perfect piece to compliment what may be a small collection but a very outstanding one.

Yes, a pawn shop here in Montana. I'm hot after a scope now. I fired a few rounds to see if it actually worked and it fired fine with no signs of excessive headspace. Got any ideas about this?

By the way, were your friends the fellow and son from Oklahoma?

Mike V.

They are from Missouri.

This is the closest I can come to a real sniper. http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/...to7464/zf41/?action=view&current=IMG_4176.jpg

You should do a story on WWII german snipers. I think you did one with the garand g43 and svt if I recall

Last edited:
We call these restored sporters.

Your lucky the rear site lip is intact.

This was in a sporter stock so the stock and bands have been replaced.

You should look for a nice E/135 stock (i have one) and nice blued bands, I would stick with speed milled and milled. Maybe just refinish the ones you have.

Nice find!!! :thumbsup:

Hi Guys Hope all is Good with everyone . This is a Nice Turret not Completely Original least way wood wise and bands , Bolt & Barreled Action looks Good . I will guess it is a LT from Rear Base.Front base just can not see enough definition from Pic but I am 99% sure its a LT . Mike look at Pics I attached is the Slot that goes round the inside is it at bottom or Midway on Your Front base . From Pic You posted it looks to me as it is at the bottom . I still would bet to say LT. Pic on Left HT Base Pic on Right LT Base . Best Regards

Attachments

• P3046677.JPG
    P3046677.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC04695.jpg
    DSC04695.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 79
Guys: Thanks for the replies, so it appears for what I have in it I did ok. I've located a scope with LT rings and am buying it so I've got my fingers crossed there. I was pretty sure the stock wasn't original but its good and solid so I can use it for my "shooter" stock.

Turbo Archie: You mention having a proper one. If you're interested in letting it go would you send a PM about it and cost? I'm not sure I can spring for it now what with buying the scope and rings but..... you know how it goes when you're hot for something.

By the way Dave Roberts, thanks much for the photos of the turrets. Mine has the groove at the bottom like the one you show at right. That settles my mind a bit.

Thanks to everyone for looking and helping.
Mike Venturino

I concur Dave - 99% sure it's an LT too.

All it needs is a proper restock, and a nice set of original or Robert Speilauer rings with a correct scope.

If Robert won't export to the USA thanks to the US insane new taxes and limits on imports, tell Robert to send to me in Australia, and I will forward on to the USA (Austria will NOT post to the USA above 500 grams any longer, more or less to SPITE Obama!) Australia on the other hand WILL export to the USA, but every item over 500 grams is postage PLUS a $9 surcharge for Obama's new security screening rubbish.

I concur Dave - 99% sure it's an LT too.

All it needs is a proper restock, and a nice set of original or Robert Speilauer rings with a correct scope.

If Robert won't export to the USA thanks to the US insane new taxes and limits on imports, tell Robert to send to me in Australia, and I will forward on to the USA (Austria will NOT post to the USA above 500 grams any longer, more or less to SPITE Obama!) Australia on the other hand WILL export to the USA, but every item over 500 grams is postage PLUS a $9 surcharge for Obama's new security screening rubbish.

Vulch
I check on this Package Limit of not shipping Packages 500 Gram and the Ban , Checked with Postal Service and Home Land Security it HOG WASH no such Ban Limits put in Effect by either and both did hear about many such Inquiries , all were told the same it is Bad Rumor . There was such a Ban in Place for a while but on the European Side Originally Holland but not Austria . Austria did put in place for a time but it is lifted Now to best of my Knowledge .

Am I right to state that this rifle is either a 1942 or 1943 BYF?

The barrel code would certainly indicate which year it is.

nice grab

vulch, has a stock and handguard that will make that rifle look 10X better.. get that yugo oil soaked stock off there.. You did very well. I had a byf44 "k" block hi-turret I restored from a sporter job as well..

Hi Mike

Nice find on the rifle, wish we could find such stuff in pawnshops here in the U.K.

I have in my collection bmj Lt scope Nr 69645 marked to rifle 11467 how close is that?

Hugh

Attachments

• DSCF1261.jpg
    DSCF1261.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF1262.jpg
    DSCF1262.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF1263.jpg
    DSCF1263.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF1264.jpg
    DSCF1264.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF1265.jpg
    DSCF1265.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1266.jpg
    DSCF1266.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 38
Hugh: The serial number on mine is 11067 so its exactly 400 numbers off your rifle. Looks like I'll be in the market for a correct stock. Can someone tell me if the number a little ahead of the receiver is the barrel date. On mine it looks like it could be a "43" if indeed that's what it is.

I'm going to shoot it with its barrel sights today and see how it does.

Mike V.

Perhaps you guys can give me some insight on this '98 also. Of course its a well used VZ24 but the scope has absolutely no markings on it, although it is very clear and adjusts perfectly. I picked this up as a "shooter" and a fine one it is despite being dark in the grooves. My tenative plan is to use in the CMP vintage sniper match in Phoenix in October.

Can anyone give me some information as to its scope, mounts, etc. Any help is appreciated.

4-22-08055LargeWebview.jpg

This is a full length shot of it, 2nd one down.

ForPhotobucket006.jpg

Thanks
Mike V.

Hugh: The serial number on mine is 11067 so its exactly 400 numbers off your rifle. Looks like I'll be in the market for a correct stock. Can someone tell me if the number a little ahead of the receiver is the barrel date. On mine it looks like it could be a "43" if indeed that's what it is.

I'm going to shoot it with its barrel sights today and see how it does.

Mike V.

yes the little 43 is the date the barrel was manufactured. so your rifle is not any earlier than 43 unless it was rebarreled which is unlikely, so its safe to say its a byf43. sweet find also :thumbsup:

Vz24 sniper rifle. That scope is not correct, should be an IOR with a straigh objective end, but they are rare as hen's teeth. My dad has a bolt matching rifle like that with original upper rings (also very rare) but we have had no luck finding a scope yet.

Can you do some better closeups of the upper mount?

Nice stuff you have there all around. Congrats on the low turret!!

Jeff

Military Rifle Journal
Back