Third Party Press

Photos of recently bought K98k with turrets

Jeff: I will get my "Dearly Beloved" (wife) to take some close ups of that Czech sniper upper rings as soon as she will cooperate.

I just came in from shooting the LT K98k with its barrel sights. At 100 yards it will do about three inches with good ammo and that's about all I can do with those sights and my 62 year old eyes. I can't wait to get that scope in and mounted.

MLV

hello mike

scope being used in your VZ24 sniper is a Kahles 4x60 or Heliavier. should be markings right under or behind your mounts rear ring. serial should be on adj tower. your mount should have reducer rings as originals were 30mm kahles scope is 26.5mm.

later
vaughn

Vaughn: I took the scope off that VZ24 and checked it out. No markings on the under side of it. A serial number is on the elevation turret. I did find a tiny "07" on the undersize just behind the front bell. No reducer fillers in the rings.

Mike V.

Hello Mike,

robert in austria made 26.5mm repros about 6+ years ago also made 30mm with reducer rings. the scope that was made for those snipers was a IOR its 4x28 and 30mm. also IO sold for about 6 months about 2+ years ago 1 inch repro's which is 25.4mm and they are a beefy mount did here some bored them out to 26.5mm. your serial is it a 1xx,xxx serial?? the 07 is a inhouse production number that we have no meaning for yet and probably will never know its meaning. can you take pics on the area behind the rear ring on top the complete area behind the focus ring, maybe it was removed?

later
vaughn

vaughn: The #on the elevation turret is 18754. We're doing photography this evening so I'll have some photos to post later. I've actually had two of those Interordnance replica scopes and this one is miles ahead of those for quality. By the optics in it I'm sure its a vintage scope.

I'll post again later tonight.
MLV

Hello mike,

i think you flipped your numbers, serial is 18574?? i have this scope in my database its a Helaivier that has been scrubbed. has a repro 1-8 dial added. sold in dec 2006. if you have no ring reducers pic of the mount will be needed if no reducer rings its a repro mount. IO made repro mounts not any scopes. they carried the repro Zeiss Zielvier which is a differnet scope entirely. can't wait to see pics.

later
vaughn

Last edited:
vaughn: Here we go. You were right, I flipped the numbers. As for the scopes sold by IO, the ones I had were not much quality wise.

8-31-11b060.jpg

Here's the other side.

8-31-11b064.jpg

Thanks for looking and for the information. The rifle is a fine shooter.

Mike V.

Hello mike,

first park mount i have seen so far all that i have seen which are very few are blued. here are some pics of my mount to compare and probably for the first time ever i actualy own something i am posting pics of :p. i don't own much so this is a rare moment LOL LOL. serial 2456 i am guessing is the rifle serial or scope serial the 267 on all parts might be the Mount production number. the 94 on rear ring might be the last 2 digits of the scope or rifle it was assigned to. so far i have had no proof of what ANY of the numbers have to due with anything. can any one answer that question who might have a all matching rig?

later
vaughn

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
vz mount

Vaughn. Mine is #'d much like yours 285 instead of 267, 2 digit # matching rear ring upper and lower, but what I take to be the rifle # is on the knob side of the front lower ring not the bolt side. I have a PE scope in mine with spacers. JL

hello mike,

my mount is 100% real deal czech made for the Czch sniper rifle 30mm rings. see pic attached of the correct scope that is needed. now back to using pics of stuff that i dont own. back to the norm LOL that didn't last long.

Hello jlj,

the front ring spins so i spun it and its on the same side as yours now (thumb screw side) :p

later
vaughn

Attachments

• dsc00041mc.jpg
    dsc00041mc.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hello mike,

first park mount i have seen so far all that i have seen which are very few are blued. here are some pics of my mount to compare and probably for the first time ever i actualy own something i am posting pics of :p. i don't own much so this is a rare moment LOL LOL. serial 2456 i am guessing is the rifle serial or scope serial the 267 on all parts might be the Mount production number. the 94 on rear ring might be the last 2 digits of the scope or rifle it was assigned to. so far i have had no proof of what ANY of the numbers have to due with anything. can any one answer that question who might have a all matching rig?

later
vaughn

Vaughn,

That's funny! I always assumed you had a large collection, but just never talked about it! Well, you do own something - a great serial database and willingness to share it. We all appreciate that.

Nice mount.

The one my dad has has matching numbers, but other numbers as well, like it was renumbered. I believe original, but I think you stated you disagreed about that one, Vaughn. The bolt also matches on that rifle, and knowing what I do about Czech/Romanian fonts and Vz's in general do believe the bolt is original to the rifle, not "collector enhanced".

The scope mount, not sure, but I also do tend to believe it was numbered that way while in military service. It is a 100% original 30mm, though.

There is just so little to go off of with these, and the patterns do not follow the "German precision" and predictability we are used to.

Jeff

Saw Dukes write up in a magazine on this rifle. Nice looking rig but it the scope actual german issued? anyone else see it?

Saw Dukes write up in a magazine on this rifle. Nice looking rig but it the scope actual German issued? Anyone else see it?

Resurrecting an older thread here but, yeah, I'm sitting here in Baghdad boning up on M98k sniper stuff online and I see that scoped Czech VZ-24 pic and say to myself, "Self, you just saw that pic a couple hours ago". I reach over to the copy of Guns/August2012 my buddy just handed off to me at the team BBQ earlier today and LOABFH, there it is in Herr Venturino's WWII sniper article.

I definitely have a 98k sniper in my future. I am leaning in the direction of LT/HT from what I've read so far. I have to say these threads on this site and a couple others are like gold for picking up some basic knowledge quickly while I wait for my 2 books from Collector Grade to show up in the mail.

Couple quick questions......is Robert still making his turret mounts? And does anyone have an opinion on the M91 Snipers being offered by AIM surplus? Original or no?

Thanks, BOTD

Military Rifle Journal
Back