Third Party Press

scope can dimensions

Amberg

After we had some discussions in the "cad scope" thread http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?9271-CAD-scope
about SC can dimensions, I finally found time to dig out my scope cans.

#1 LSR, green, rifle# 6153, dimensions: 55mm x 80mm x 315mm (about: 2 1/8 x 3 1/8 x 12 3/8)
#2 turret mount, green, rifle# 37050 L, dimensions: 55mm x 80mm x 315mm
#3 turret mount, tan, no rifle#, dimensions: 55mm x 80mm x 310mm, came with Ajack LT

What are the dimensions of known SC cans?
Thanks
Wolfgang

Attachments

• IMG_5550_.jpg
    IMG_5550_.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5558_.jpg
    IMG_5558_.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5565_.jpg
    IMG_5565_.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5564_.jpg
    IMG_5564_.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Here are my scope can outer dimensions (measured by calipers):

#1 Green Rifle Numbered 2483 LSR Can: 57mm X 81mm X 315mm
#2 Tan No Rifle Numbered High Turret Can: 57mm X 81mm X 310mm

Thanks,

Brian

The smaller differences by height and width presumably come along as we have measured at different spots. We should have determined that before.
5mm difference in length between our tan and green cans is obvious.
Any green cans in 310mm or tan cans in 315mm out there?
Are all numbered LSR cans stamped on the front side?
Thanks
Wolfgang

got another LSR can these days. Dimensions are: 57mm X 81mm X 315mm
Interestingly it has two rifle numbers: 7913 stamped on the front, and 1430 in white paint on top of the lid.
Looks like one of the previous owners did not know how to open it and knocked off the hinge.
Sorry about the poor photos, but no chance to go outside because of heavy rain.

Attachments

• IMG_5841_.jpg
    IMG_5841_.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5844_.jpg
    IMG_5844_.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5845_.jpg
    IMG_5845_.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 54
Nice

got another LSR can these days. Dimensions are: 57mm X 81mm X 315mm
Interestingly it has two rifle numbers: 7913 stamped on the front, and 1430 in white paint on top of the lid.
Looks like one of the previous owners did not know how to open it and knocked off the hinge.
Sorry about the poor photos, but no chance to go outside because of heavy rain.

Wolfgang,

Thanks for taking the time for posting and that is a nice scope can. I have not seen one with a serial number painted on. So, that can is interesting. Original scope cans must be pretty rare, because not too many have been posted here. You are lucky to have found it.

Brian

Single claw cans

I reopen this thread because Hercules gave me to impuls to search further into the single claw can problem. My input is the following: I own 6770A (pic 1) which has the same font as Hercules 650A. The same font is used for a Mauser rifle with Suffix L (pic 2). So I think that Mauser first stamped the cans and later maybe stopped doing so. The one with suffix L might be from 43, the one with A might be 44, but all high turret. Pic 3 shows a different font almost never seen on cans. Maybe this might be for single claw? Does anyone have a single claw scope with matching green can? So far I have seen SC scopes only with tan cans.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 72
There is Pic in Sniper Variations Pg 118 SC Scope & Rings 3146d with Matching Green Can 3146d. This Scope and Can is also pictured in Senich Book in SC Section Pg 278 & 280 also Pictured is the Matching Rifle that had Base Removed .

Thank you very much, Dave. The font on the one in the Senich book is the same as the one in question pictured above and on the one I recently acquired which put up this question for me. So this font is for Steyr sniper rifles. Proof is enough for me personally now.

The font is a good method to get clues from because the stamp was put on after sniper rifle had been completed. BTW I noted 2 different fonts on LSR cans, but I have not yet delved into this matter further. I am busy enough not working on my MP44 accessories book.

As for scope can dimensions, I know only of 2. Big (standard) and small one (more rare). I have seen a big one which has been elongated possibly for Zielsechs but this has not been proven. Personally I think that the different measurements posted above result only from unsharp production and measurement methods.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 56
these are the two different fonts found on bcd LSR guns, both placed upon in early and late production cans, meaning that there were at least 2 gunsmiths or teams putting the sniper rifles together there.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 58
As for scope can dimensions, I know only of 2. Big (standard) and small one (more rare). I have seen a big one which has been elongated possibly for Zielsechs but this has not been proven. Personally I think that the different measurements posted above result only from unsharp production and measurement methods.
I think you are correct only two sizes of steel cans. The large and small can. Dimension differences are minor and due to construction. I have seen a Zielsechs leather case and do not think it came in a can.

these are the two different fonts found on bcd LSR guns, both placed upon in early and late production cans, meaning that there were at least 2 gunsmiths or teams putting the sniper rifles together there.
In your post above I think picture on left is Gustloff LSR can and picture on the right is Sauer LSR can.

Single claw cans

I reopen this thread because Hercules gave me to impuls to search further into the single claw can problem. My input is the following: I own 6770A (pic 1) which has the same font as Hercules 650A. The same font is used for a Mauser rifle with Suffix L (pic 2). So I think that Mauser first stamped the cans and later maybe stopped doing so. The one with suffix L might be from 43, the one with A might be 44, but all high turret. Pic 3 shows a different font almost never seen on cans. Maybe this might be for single claw? Does anyone have a single claw scope with matching green can? So far I have seen SC scopes only with tan cans.
I think this post here sums it up perfectly for Turret and Single Claw Cans.

Here is the Zielsechs Leather Case.

Zielsechs Case.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back