Third Party Press

100% Matching 1892 M89 Danish Krag-Jorgensen; duffel cut.

plymouthmauser

100% matching, original 1892 marked barrel, M1910 manual safety upgrade.

I've been after one of these for many years. Came home from WWII with a duffel cut. No WaA, but probably used by a prison guard or a second echelon soldier. Bore is good. Nice patina with some light surface rust. Easy project and a really important one to me - my Avatar is my Danish grandfather who served from 1929-1933.

PM

Last edited:
Duffel cut fixed. One of the easiest I have done.

It seems some one had tried a repair with a double ended brad or nail and glue. This saved me the trouble of trying to line up the halves without a cleaning rod channel.

I drilled a hole in each end and used a 4" threaded steel rod as usual. I trimmed off the old glue, used Gorilla epoxy for the rod and AcraGlass to put the halves together.

I taped the halves together and to a meter stick to keep the repair alinged in both the lateral and horizontal.

I strengthened the repair with my inset brass staple technique with Gorilla glue. I also added four smaller inset staple gun staples for lateral support.

While everything was drying I worked on the metal very lightly with CLP and 4X steel wool to remove the patches of light surface rust, leaving the patina intact. Barrel was bright blue under the wood-line. The stock has very few dings and scratches. I didn't even see the need to oil, so a coat of Howard's Feed and Wax finished up the project.

I add a couple of finished shots tomorrow.

PM

Looks great, now we need to get you some 8x58r dies so I can load up some rounds for you for a range trip.

Morning pics; all cleaned up. I'm so pleased with one. I don't plan on shooting this one much; I'd just like to find a few rounds to try it out. I've a line on a M15 canvas sling from Denmark. Then I'll have to look around for a bayonet. They're expensive, about $200.

Anyone know what this lever does? it does not seem to affect the bolt in any way nor act as a safety.

PM

Last edited:
I have a few Krags but am pretty far from being an expert on them. I am away from home so not able to pull one out. Given the era of rifle, could it be a magazine cutoff to allow the soldier to feed in single rounds and hold the magazine in reserve?

Pisgah is correct. It is the magazine cutoff.

These are cool Krags. I've been wanting to find one of the depot marked examples.

Found the secret. With the lever down, this interrupting bar pokes down from the top left of the receiver cutting off the magazine.

PM

Done for the weekend. Hit the bore twice with 9V electrolysis. Cleaning came out blacker than the first time. Bore foam, brass brush, CLP patches and bore snake twice as well. Ended up a good plus. Too cool.

PM

That was the ancestor of the U.S. Krag. It was tested by the U.S., but a modified version which had the magazine cover pinned horizontally and swinging down to load was adopted as the Model 1892. The Danish 8x58R ammo is not easy to come by; Buffalo lists it but like about everything else, says unavailable.

If that barrel doesn't clean up to show sharp rifling, don't worry too much, as it has Rasmussen rifling which, like the British Metford rifling, has rounded lands and grooves.

Jim

Danish M15 sling came today, and I got some better pictures of the bore. A little rougher in close up than from the naked eye. Now I need a bayonet, but I may be interrupted by a M91 Finned Westinghouse...

PM

Good show on sling. Bayonets on Ebay from time to time - none found German accepted AFAIK. You also need a muzzlecap.

Good show on sling. Bayonets on Ebay from time to time - none found German accepted AFAIK. You also need a muzzlecap.

Thanks.

I've seen some nice ones for $300, dogs for $80. Several that have German maker stamps. Sling was harder to get and cheaper; $122 shipped with the currency conversion.

I've only seen pictures of muzzle caps. I'm just happy to have a matching Danish Krag.

T

Caps show up on Ebay occasionally.

Where did you find a sling? I've got an 89/23 w cap and depot stamp but no sling...

Nice Rifle

It is a nice rifle that you have, you have made a nice job.

It's a shame that it is difficult to send weapons / weapon parts from / to
the United States, otherwise I would send you a few rounds.

The rifle commonly called M89 in Denmark, the rifle is usually not hard to find here,
but the accessory is sometimes hard to find and also at the high end.

Military Rifle Journal
Back