Third Party Press

1871 calvary carbine

At least I think that's what I stumbled upon.
Hoping to find out what I can about it.
Via your help of course.
Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• 20240504_120338.jpg
    20240504_120338.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240504_120242.jpg
    20240504_120242.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 23
Looks to be a nice Steyr made carbine. If you took the pictures on a phone go to the gallery and see if you can crop them to be smaller. I have the same issue all the time about the pictures being too large lol

If you have an iPhone and are selecting photos from your library, below the photo it says “actual size”. Click on that and select large. That usually works for me.
Nice grab.

Very nice find!
Thanks Sir
It was at a LGS
I know the owner pretty well and he had just listed it in GB.
He told me if I wanted it I could have it for 500.
I thought it was a good price.

Now I have to hunt for some ammo as I'd like to shoot it some.
Maybe bring it out for a bear hunt.

You might try Old South Ammo (this text is a link) .
Mike Richardson offers a very extensive line of obsolete ammo including 7.92x57mm J (.318) Mauser Round Nose.

Oh, my bad. I thought you had a GEW 88...but you actually have a KAR 71. Old South is presently out of 11mm (.43) Mauser and has been for about a year. Apparently the brass manufacturer has not been making anymore. Go figure?!

Last edited:
Thanks Sir
It was at a LGS
I know the owner pretty well and he had just listed it in GB.
He told me if I wanted it I could have it for 500.
I thought it was a good price.

Maybe bring it out for a bear hunt.
Watch what ammo you buy as most is loaded way wrong for the M-71 . Some is so bad you may not even hit a bear ! Ammo for the M-71/84 is wrong for the M-71 .

Watch what ammo you buy as most is loaded way wrong for the M-71 . Some is so bad you may not even hit a bear ! Ammo for the M-71/84 is wrong for the M-71 .
I'm not sure I'll have much for choices.
What would you suggest if possible/ plausible?

Check you bore size on your rifle . Most run about .451 to .453 groove dia . Some people who sell ammo use a .446 cast bullet , that much below groove size can cause the bullet to tumble as close as 50 yards . I have hunted with one of my M-71's . Groove is .452 . I used heavy .451 jacketed pistol bullets for the .45 colt . Soft point and hollow point . The steel on even the old rifles is still much harder than soft pistol bullets , so it will not cause any wear to the barrel with the amount of rounds fired for bear hunting . Unless you have a REAL bear problem . After about 120 jacketed rounds fired through mine during load testing , I found no measurable wear .

Military Rifle Journal
Back