Third Party Press

1904 Erfurt Gew.98

Surplus Fan

Picked this up a little while ago. I've been studying up here and getting into the Storz book to learn more about it. Just getting started in my education on these. I took some pictures of it today and thought they may be of interest here or perhaps could even add to research efforts. Any observations, good or bad, would be welcome and appreciated.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I am glad you took the time to post this, and in proper detail, - this is a very rare maker-date, the serial number is highly deceptive, Erfurt made very few Gewehr98's this year and it is one of the rarest of their lean early years.

All the early totals in the articles I wrote are incorrect, I think it is quite clear today that the arsenals serialed without rolling over through the first few years, to about 1905-06 or so. There are some anomalies, the arsenals do have some early blocks filled each year, not sure why, but the vast majority continue at the range the prior year leaves off… We will probably never know how rare these early rifles are, so few are recorded, even fewer in such detail, that acceptance patterns, especially for stocks, are nearly impossible to establish.

It is a true shame that the stock isn't original to manufacture, the rifle would be worth a great deal, but still, so few are known that this rifle is worth more than your typical pre-war rifle. (I wouldn't even guess its value, it is the nicest known, but I have only recorded 3 others in 15 years...)

Picked this up a little while ago. I've been studying up here and getting into the Storz book to learn more about it. Just getting started in my education on these. I took some pictures of it today and thought they may be of interest here or perhaps could even add to research efforts. Any observations, good or bad, would be welcome and appreciated.

Wow, thank you for the information Loewe. I have to say I'm a bit embarrassed as I had no idea this was that rare.

Your welcome, - my thanks for doing enough pictures of the right areas.

Rarity will only take a rifle so far alone, original condition is the real holder of value, - most can recognize a condition rarity far easier than a production rarity, no book will tell you which maker-date is more elusive (how many made), but almost everyone knows that factory original-matching pre-war is rare, or can identify a cool unit marking.

Not many collect rifles by year either, at least throughout a production run as long as some of the Gewehr98's were made, it would take like 75 rifles to fill just the pre-war makers by maker-date every year known... another 42 if you include the war years!

Still, not too many can say they have a Erfurt/04 and none known seem as nice as yours is, - Wolfgang sent me pictures of one a couple years back, stock isn't period, has some issues, think it was a eGun rifle he wrangled pictures of, it isn't as nice as yours. Of the others they are trainwrecks, one an Empire Arms sale, sportered disaster, another has been shortened and is a little comical in the stock it rests in, and of course there are some vague reports from the KCN, two of which are also "h" blocks, one before yours and another after.

Anyway, I really doubt many were made, but it was probably about 10k by known serial ranges, the last 1903 known is 8717 g, the earliest 1904 known is 94 h, the highest 1904 known is 7606 h, plus there are some no-blocks and one "a" block which I think were assembled later from leftover receivers, but more acceptance trends research is needed.

I just picked this rifle up from Surplus Fan. The serial 751 (matched to the receiver) is stamped on the bolt handle knob, and the original serial 9395 is still present on the bolt handle flat. This is evidence of....?????

I just picked this rifle up from Surplus Fan. The serial 751 (matched to the receiver) is stamped on the bolt handle knob, and the original serial 9395 is still present on the bolt handle flat. This is evidence of....?????

Depot force matched bolt

Military Rifle Journal
Back