Third Party Press

1905 Spandau

I wasn't really watching this one as I have a few Jäger marked Gew98s already, but it did look it over when the listing popped up. Looked like a nice relatively untouched example, aside from maybe a little aggressive cleaning on the one band. A first glance I thought someone had varnished the stock, but I don't think that's the case when I looked closer.

I bid on it as I’d like to have a Jager rifle to go along with my Jager 71. I am glad it didn’t end up getting flipped by a dealer though! But I have a very special Gewehr rifle coming that popped up over the weekend. My buddy helped me out with getting it.

I bid on it as I’d like to have a Jager rifle to go along with my Jager 71. But I have a very special Gewehr rifle coming that popped up over the weekend. My buddy helped me out with getting it.
Glad you’re getting a very special Gewehr 98 rifle, Marc! I know you’ve been looking for that particular special Gew for almost forty years.

I am glad a known collector won the rifle, this rifle looks righteous but does contribute to screwing up a theory or two! (especially the theory that unit marks tend to group in ranges...); however that is largely based upon the 98a trends and G98 trends are far more diverse or sporadic...

98a do tend to group to a degree (a higher rate of surviving rifles, relatively, to populate trends), but might be incidental and not comparable to a more widely issued G98.

*** I suspect it will be a generation problem to solve, even if possible. What would be most interesting is a clear review of stock acceptance (a rare event on such an early rifle!)

I am glad a known collector won the rifle, this rifle looks righteous but does contribute to screwing up a theory or two! (especially the theory that unit marks tend to group in ranges...); however that is largely based upon the 98a trends and G98 trends are far more diverse or sporadic...

98a do tend to group to a degree (a higher rate of surviving rifles, relatively, to populate trends), but might be incidental and not comparable to a more widely issued G98.

*** I suspect it will be a generation problem to solve, even if possible. What would be most interesting is a clear review of stock acceptance (a rare event on such an early rifle!)
I agree-- there is something to unit mark groupings on Gew 98s- take my 1904 DWM marked to the 123rd reserve and another rifle in close proximity sharing that unit. It clearly isn't a universal truth though.

Military Rifle Journal
Back