Third Party Press

1915 GEW 98 a Waffenfrabrik Mauser A-G OberIIDorf A/N

Bill

I just purchased this rifle from a family member. All Ser#s match except on the safety. The only piece missing is the cleaning rod. My question is, where can I find one?
If anyone would like to see a few photos I'd be happy to post a few. I'm sure it's a fairly common mauser.

thanks, Bill

Welcome to the forum, please do some pictures.

Cleaning rods are difficult to find problem free, expect to pay $50+ for a good one, if you can find one. Best bet is ebay, Gun Broker or another collector, but collectors rarely will sell one, you will need a trade in most cases. Problem is that most collectors have more rifles in need of a rod than excess rods, only MauserBill has the reverse situation and he won't sell them, he only trades.

MO/1915 isn't rare as you guessed, but nice original ones are a lot tougher than you would think. Rifles made in 1915 were used, there was a rifle shortage and most made found their way to the battlefield. Generally 1917 is the most common date to find nice and original, regardless of maker, they are usually the most common rifle to find from any of the makers.

During 1915, Danzig & DWM had the highest production, Spandau a close third, basically tied with Mauser, the balance of the makers were smalls by comparison.

length of cleaning rod

Thanks for the infomation about finding a cleaning rod.

Is there a particular length on the cleaning rod? It seems as if they had more than a few lengths for these rods.

Also, I will post a few photos.

thanks, Bill

Come to think of it, I do know of another mauser for sale that has ammo and a bayonet. I need to go look at it again.
After spending a few day here on this site looking at photos and reading post I have a better idea of what to look for.
To use a phrase, I'm dangerously armed with little information.:laugh:

Cleaning rods for the Gewehr98 are a little over 15.5 inches long (15.625 inches according to MauserBill, but I have never taken the time to measure them accurately), they vary in length only in the slightest way and isn't noticeable without a measurement.

They will be bright metal, they will have a fraktur acceptance stamp and a serial, no exceptions. The Brazilian 1908 contract rifles have the same rods, but are not serialed nor have fraktur acceptance stamps. Some use these as they are at least the right style and are much cheaper than real deal Gewehr98's rods.

Well you are in the right spot to learn about the rifles, this is the only forum exclusively dedicated to German military rifles and we will try to help you get up to speed. Good luck!

Bill,

Just saw a G98 rod on GB. Auction # *********.

Dear moderator, I hope this does not violate protocol. :hail:

KJ

Last edited by a moderator:
KJ, nothing personal but we do not allow live auctions to be listed or discussed. Maybe email Bill the link?

Just adding that correct G98 rods can be non-serial #'d if armorers. The Brazilian '08 rods have the "ß" proof and I believe originally blued.

Just adding that correct G98 rods can be non-serial #'d if armorers. The Brazilian '08 rods have the "ß" proof and I believe originally blued.

Mike ; You are right about original 'replacement part' rods being proofed but not serialed , but brazilian rods were in the white.

promised photos

Attached is a few photos of the Gew98

Thanks everyone for the help with the cleaning rod.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_4791.jpg
    DSC_4791.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_4794.jpg
    DSC_4794.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_4795.jpg
    DSC_4795.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_4797.jpg
    DSC_4797.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_4798.jpg
    DSC_4798.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_4799.jpg
    DSC_4799.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_4800.jpg
    DSC_4800.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 64
That is interesting. Looks like a Polish refurb. I think the 'triangle z' indicates a arsenal/depot ("Zbrojownia") perhaps Warsaw? Appears to have an additional Polish fireproof as well.

Can you take some detailed pics of the all the parts and markings? Photos taken outside turn out best.

I agree, this is a Polish used rifle, these sometimes are more valuable than those that stayed in German hands after 1918.

The "Z" in an upside-down triangle is a depot marking, according to a Polish collector who wrote a brief letter in the MRJ in 1997 it stands for "Zbrojownia" (or "zbrojownie") or arsenal, but others (John Wall) has said Polish collectors have declared the marking to mean "small armory or armourer's repair facility or maintenance depot that was a satellite to a larger facility or factory". Apparently there are several different markings that include this "Z", this upside-down triangle style across the top of receivers, a circle "Z" often on barrels, variations of "Zbr." on stocks, but as this is outside on my main interest, I am not sure if they are all directly related to the same meaning.

Whatever the case, the rifle was certainly in Polish hands prior to World War II and better pictures would help. Especially of any markings in the stock and right side of the receiver, often they are fireproofed by the Poles on the right side, barrel markings would be nice too.

I will also say that this style of marking, the triangle "Z" is less common on German rifles in Polish hands than the "FB" in the upside down triangle, at least so far as I have seen. John Wall owns a couple of these and they are about the only ones I have seen with the "Z" style marking.

That is interesting. Looks like a Polish refurb. I think the 'triangle z' indicates a arsenal/depot ("Zbrojownia") perhaps Warsaw? Appears to have an additional Polish fireproof as well.

Can you take some detailed pics of the all the parts and markings? Photos taken outside turn out best.

I'll post more photos today or tomorrow

thanks

More Photos

I apologize for the delay, here are more photos, let me know what you think.

thanks

Attachments

• DSC_4845.jpg
    DSC_4845.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_4847.jpg
    DSC_4847.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_4850.jpg
    DSC_4850.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_4851.jpg
    DSC_4851.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_4852.jpg
    DSC_4852.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_4853.jpg
    DSC_4853.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_4854.jpg
    DSC_4854.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_4855.jpg
    DSC_4855.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_4878.jpg
    DSC_4878.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_4879.jpg
    DSC_4879.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 32
Another Mauser

My nephew also has a sniper rifle his grandfather removed off of a German Shoulder. He would like your opinion on it if you all would not mind. I'll post the photos in the sniper rifle forum.

thanks, Bill

I think it is nicer than most I have recorded, looks pretty much original, which ain't too easy to find.

The sniper forum is a good place for the other rifle, there are a couple sharp collectors there that know as much as anyone.

Fireproof?

What is fireproof?

Value

I would like to know what this rifle might be worth today. Would anyone mind giving me their opinion?

thanks, Bill

i think the rifles that got passed around between the poles and germans are some of the most interesting out there. so much history!

Military Rifle Journal
Back