Third Party Press

1917 DWM GEW98 question...

falcon007

I bought a sporterized 1917 DWM GEW98 with all matching numbers (501g) and a very nice bore. I want to get a stock for it but imagine originals are difficult to find, what other stock, handguard and hardware will fit this?

Click on picture for larger views

Looks like a worthy project! Gew bands aren’t hard to find, eBay or Gunbroker usually have plenty. Brazilian stock and Kar98k handguard would work until you come across a Gew stock (they are out there). I once had a bolt straightened on a restoration, that can be done fairly easily.

Looks like a worthy project, really nice action and totally reversible (restorable), other than the stock anyway... which is the most curious thing, the g-block is a point of change for DWM, typically DWM was extremely slow adopting changes but the g-block of 1917 seems something of a point of change (f-g blocks the first grips and TD's show up but they are spotty and anything but regular...) DWM was slow to introduce changes and had several unique curiosities about stock changes. They were certainly the most resistant to changes or modifications (and following a unique pattern- I read once, years ago, can't remember the exact context, that well established firms with a large group or tradition of tradesmen or "guildsmen" were resistant to modifications or shortcutting during the war, - I can think of few German firms that this would fit better than DWM...)

OP, can you show the barrel code partially shown at the front of the rearsight? You can see the Bo (Bohler & crown H) but the lot and acceptance would be of note. ALso the underside of the bolt handle lower flat (should be Crown/F). I suppose the stock external markings are removed? Looks potentially the original stock, doubtful if restorable but I would save it just incase if factory...

That is some pretty metal. Definitely looks like a worthy project. Good luck in your search, lots of good advice here. Looking forward to seeing the restored piece!

Thank you all for the responses and I will begin to look for a stock, HG and hardware.

This stock has 501 stamped in the barrel channel and on the bottom most portion of the buttplate.

Here are the pictures of the barrel and under the bolt handle.

Click on pictures for larger view

Military Rifle Journal
Back