Third Party Press

1937 S/177

Unutt

I am sure most of us saw it close on eBay. Not the prettiest, but it represents the first 'hole' I have filled in a few years. It is the first 37 S/177 I have seen for sale since I started collecting in 2010. If the scabbard had any finish on it, it would not be that ugly. In any event, I am happy to have it. I posted the after and before of the matrix also. It as been so long, I almost forgot how to upload / update the website.

I have not been watching eBay but the owner of K98.free texted me and got me interested.

And new pix. Hopefully they all orient the correct direction.

Attachments

• k98 Bayonet matrix after.jpg
    k98 Bayonet matrix after.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 61
  • k98 Bayonet matrix before.jpg
    k98 Bayonet matrix before.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 37s1777175baa.jpg
    37s1777175baa.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 37s1777175bbo.jpg
    37s1777175bbo.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 37s1777175bco.jpg
    37s1777175bco.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 37s1777175beo.jpg
    37s1777175beo.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 37s1777175bfo.jpg
    37s1777175bfo.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 37s1777175bgo.jpg
    37s1777175bgo.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Cool Matrix, I think i'll create one for my bayonets, you have a nice collection.
I just copied the matrix at K98.free, except I wanted to see every maker/year on one page. When you get yours finished, post a link. If you have not been there, the word *Collection' at the bottom of my posts is a link to the matrix. Each green square is a link to pictures of my example of that year/maker.

Last edited:
I just copied the matrix at K98.free, except I wanted to see every maker/year on one page. When you get yours finished, post a link. If you have not been there, the word *Collection' at the bottom of my posts is a link to the matrix. Each green square is a link to pictures of my example of that year/maker.
Hi,
Question on bayonet collecting, of course matching numbers mint condition are ideal, if you find a very good condition bayonet with non matching numbers would you still buy it or do you go for all matching numbers.

I as well as some of the other bayonet collectors here collect only matching non-sharpened sets. Condition is flexible depending on rarity of bayonet. Bayonet can have a scabbard that has a few problems, such as one or two small dents and blue less than 100%, but it needs the blade to be near mint.
I have a few bayonet that the scabbard`s blue is probably less than 50% and one that has black paint on it, but the blades are near mint to mint.
Every one of us here has their criteria for conditions, and I am sure they vary from one guy to the next but a matching set is pretty much one condition that goes across the board.
The exception for a non-matching set would be a rare bayonet, like any 1945 dated one, for me anyway.

I as well as some of the other bayonet collectors here collect only matching non-sharpened sets. Condition is flexible depending on rarity of bayonet. Bayonet can have a scabbard that has a few problems, such as one or two small dents and blue less than 100%, but it needs the blade to be near mint.
I have a few bayonet that the scabbard`s blue is probably less than 50% and one that has black paint on it, but the blades are near mint to mint.
Every one of us here has their criteria for conditions, and I am sure they vary from one guy to the next but a matching set is pretty much one condition that goes across the board.
The exception for a non-matching set would be a rare bayonet, like any 1945 dated one, for me anyway.
Thanks for the info.

Hi,
Question on bayonet collecting, of course matching numbers mint condition are ideal, if you find a very good condition bayonet with non matching numbers would you still buy it or do you go for all matching numbers.
I do not buy unmatched sets because it cannot be proven they were surrendered together in 1945. I look for the best example possible but some older, prewar examples are difficult to find in ‘mint’ condition. My primary goal is to collect one of each year and maker, mostly to prove they exist and confirm font, etc. I copied the K98.free matrix because I got the idea to start collecting from him. If I have a sharpened example, I am always looking for an unsharpened example. I have one example which has been restamped, but the restamp is exactly the same digits as the original stamps. My 2 cents. Some of the collectors here have been at it much longer and have much nicer collections/examples. Not much I can do about it except wait on them to turn a few loose.

Unutt`s collection is a definite work in progress. I hope I live long enough to see him complete it, lol. It would be a task none too easy and very expensive, especially with the increase in asking prices over the last few years. To start a collection like his today would be hard to accomplish, but that is just my opinion.
I decided to just do one of each year, 1934 to 1944. I figured finding a 45 dated bayonet too hard and out of my price range if I did find one.
I was able to complete my collection in about ten years. I probably could have finished sooner if I had not been distracted by other things, like an antique Harley and life lol. I have started to acquire doubles in my collection. I love the early years and if I see a nice one I get it. I say early years, but recently bought another 44 dated bayonet, because it was in near-mint unissued condition.
As well as the S84/98 III addiction, I ended up getting a Ks98 (dress ) bayonet habit. The variations are many and I want one of each lol. And of course, there are knives to collect, such as Hitler Youth knives, trench/boot knives (WWI and WWII), daggers (SA,SS, Heer, Luft, Kreigsmarine and all of the other organizations of Third Reich Germany) and let's not forget swords.

Last edited:
Hopefully I live long enough to see it happen, but the chances are slim. I think K98.free has a better chance.

I am always looking for any you do not have on your list. Rest assured, I will let you know if I find another one.
Arnaud has been at it longer and may have an advantage being in Europe/France, so you may be right.
I think is pretty cool that he directed you to that `37 S/177 that you did not have.

Hello Mike,
I have doubles in F.Herder Asn 38, S/176 37 and Ferlach 40 name (omc).
An exchange for another model is possible....

Best regards
Aws

Last edited:
I am interested. You need something in particular that I might have a double? Last time you mentioned it, you only needed 5 examples to finish.

Military Rifle Journal
Back