Third Party Press

1937 S/42 Barrel Markings Identification

MacMauser

I need a little assistance from some of the resident experts here. Pictured are the markings on the barrel of my 1937 S/42 K98 which I recently acquired. Multiple Internet searches failed to reveal the meaning of the barrel markings. I recognize the "63" proof marks and obviously, "37" represents the year but what are the other markings, namely "Do18"?
Thanks.
John

Attachments

• DSC01524c4.jpg
    DSC01524c4.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 37
Do18 ?

That is the barrel code lot number for the steel manufacturer. Do is the manufacturer's ID and 18 is the lot number of the steel used to mfg. the barrel.

The Dö is the abbreviation for Döhlen, which is the barrel blank provider. Steel blanks were provided to Mauser which finished barrel operations. That ring of markings on the barrel is called the "barrel band" markings, and was used to track batches of barrels in case of failure during use. If certain numbers of barrels within a lot number failed they were recalled and replaced on affected rifles.

The Dö is the abbreviation for Döhlen, which is the barrel blank provider. Steel blanks were provided to Mauser which finished barrel operations. That ring of markings on the barrel is called the "barrel band" markings, and was used to track batches of barrels in case of failure during use. If certain numbers of barrels within a lot number failed they were recalled and replaced on affected rifles.

Thank You, Sir. You really DO know everything about K98s!

Military Rifle Journal
Back