Third Party Press

1944 LSR 'X' block project

Mauser4me

Recent purchase that I finally took home yesterday evening. Came as a total mixmaster (even the front sight blade was from a swedish mauser!)- only part that could pass as original to the rifle would be the bolt stop. Photos for viewing pleasure - seems an original. I see in the photo reference there is 905X so I am going to copy those parts in my restoration for what goes on this one since it is only 30 rifles later. This did come with the scope base screws - I just took them off when I stripped the rifle down and didn't put them back for the photo. Also one nice thing is that it has a great bore with plenty of life in it. I don't plan on it being a daily shooter or anything but do like to have the option.

Only 2 real detractors from the barreled receiver - bubba widened the walls of the rear sight base for some reason. They're bent/flared out and a sight ramp sits funny in it. Second thing was that bubba evidently was just seconds away from drilling the rear receiver ring for a peep sight before he came to his senses. Has scratched markings for where the holes were gonna be drilled but thank heaven he stopped at that. Might touch them up with cold blue. Any advice on these two issues? Not sure how to get the rear sight base resolved - repair or replace?

Already have some of the small parts sourced but could use some help still. Need a stock, sight leaf (without a serial number), and bolt. I am fine with a standard bcd 4 stock and I will just have it inlet for the mount. The scope & mount are gonna be the last items I purchase but would appreciate any leads!

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_7237.jpg
    IMG_7237.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7238.jpg
    IMG_7238.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7239.jpg
    IMG_7239.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7240.jpg
    IMG_7240.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7241.jpg
    IMG_7241.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7242.jpg
    IMG_7242.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7243.jpg
    IMG_7243.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7244.jpg
    IMG_7244.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7246.jpg
    IMG_7246.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 57
well, i try a little heat then try getting them back it shape. or replace it. Its not terribly hard to do.. the rest looks nice and well worth saving..

Not sure what you think is wrong with the rear sight base? It just misses the curve. Put it back in and then you are fine to go.

Not sure what you think is wrong with the rear sight base? It just misses the curve. Put it back in and then you are fine to go.
These photos show it more clearly. The walls are flared out. The sight ramp won't fit in the rear sight base now unless I choose to use extreme force - I think the when the walls were flared out, it pulled the front and end of the sight base in towards each other ever so slightly, and thus the ramp won't sit all the way down as it should. Not sure what to do just yet.

Attachments

• IMG_72742.jpg
    IMG_72742.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_72751.jpg
    IMG_72751.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Oh. No that wasn't really well visible in your picture. I'd try to reshape them. If this fails then at worst you just replace the rear sight base. What would had been the only other option anyway. So not much to be risked.

Military Rifle Journal
Back