Third Party Press

44 ASW, First Bayonet have a few questions.

brunnels

Hello everyone, i recently picked up my first bayonet. I bought a 44 ASW bayonet from Century Arms. The bayonet seems to have a reddish bluing to the blade. Is this normal for K98 bayonets? Also i noticed there is a different serial number on the blade and handle, i am guessing this bayonet was probably rebuilt and refurbished at some time in its life? Also does anyone have any good tips for cleaning up the cosmoline inside the scabbard, it is coated and i am not really sure the best way to go about getting that sticky stuff out of there.

Pics below.

eYU7csh.jpg

q39bCGz.jpg

jZvy2ZS.jpg

yEjiX8p.jpg

v8qELWd.jpg

Yes postwar rework by Yugoslavia, what is the letter under serial number of blade? The complet is yugoslavian reserialed so matching here, i believe the screws in grips are wrong side mounted, i assume as 44 asw is not known with red blueing, it should be too a refurbishment blued.thanks.b.r.Andy

Yes postwar rework by Yugoslavia, what is the letter under serial number of blade? The complet is yugoslavian reserialed so matching here, i believe the screws in grips are wrong side mounted, i assume as 44 asw is not known with red blueing, it should be too a refurbishment blued.thanks.b.r.Andy

Thanks for the info. The letter under the serial is a G. The screws being mounted wrong is my fault, i took the grips off when cleaning up all the cosmo and couldn't remember which side was correct.

Original in the g range were used mainly wood grips.The brown colored plastic were added by Yugoslavians and are older probably.b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back