Third Party Press

5k K98 on GB

Got into a bidding war it seems like, and then some. Hell, I have a matching byf43 in tiger stripe walnut. Should be able to get 6k out of it in retrospect. Nothing rare or unusual about it to warrant the price from where I sit.

Isn't WaA655 one of ours? I seemed to think so. Yeah, beautiful elm or not I think this is getting out of hand. Not my money however.

Sure sounds like a bidding war to me also. Wow 5 grand! Just cause it's Elm wood? Wonder if laminate is far behind. LOL

Sure sounds like a bidding war to me also. Wow 5 grand! Just cause it's Elm wood? Wonder if laminate is far behind. LOL

The Elm stocks are pretty scarce only showing up on a few Mauser Obendorf rifles in 1943. I liked the gun, but not enough to pay 5k.

Elm byf43

Late 'i' block...early in elm usage.
They are scarce in matching unmolested condition.

But 5K?

Even if I need one for my collection would not have gone anywhere close.

This guy is likely a Oberndorf collector by his handle and some guys have no limit when
they need to fill a hole.

My most expensive non-scoped K98k I have ever purchased was my S/42K at just over 4K.
That was 7 years ago.

Stock weight

Laminates tend to be heavier than any hardwood stock - at least in my experience with Mauser OB. and Berlin rifles.
Some of the laminates are very heavy. Of course based on the density of the wood there can be heavy hardwood
stocks as well.

Case in point - ar43 with laminate stock and sling at 9lbs 7oz.
byf43 with walnut stock and sling at 8lbs 11oz.
byf43 with elm stock and sling at 8lbs 13oz.
byf42 with walnut stock and sling at 8lbs 14oz.
byf42 with laminate stock and sling at 9lbs 5oz.
byf45 with laminate 'c' stock and sling at 9lbs 7oz.
bcd43 with laminate stock and sling at 9lbs 7oz.

I agree Bruce very expensive but your right if a certain collector has been hunting for many years too find one. They don't care what the price tag is. They finally have one and they didn't have too attended a gunshow or auction and search for one either.

IMO if I ever spent close too $5,000 for a K98k it would either be all matching S/27G code in mint condition and maybe AX/AR but that rifle is unheard of it too find all matching.

Interesting rifle for sure. Bruce explains it well..

You could easily spend 3k just looking for what you want doing it the old fashion way. Driving or flying even to shows staying over ect.ect.ect.

Paying a premium for convince is worth it to some folks. At least Elite or pre98 didn't buy it and mark it up another grand only to watch it sell in a day..

Most Elm stock show up in the K block. I don't think Larry's legit zf41 sold for 5k though ?

Military Rifle Journal
Back