Third Party Press

A question on cleaning out cleaning rod hole

moosedog

I have acquired a stacking rod or cleaning rod for my Gustloff KKW rifle. It hasn't had a rod down the hole in a very long time, and I need to clean it out a bit. The wood is just a bit too tight on the way down. What's the best way to clean it out?

Hey MD,
I'd use a long piece of thin stiff wire with the end twisted like a corkscrew (twisted around a smaller nail), like a cannon worm. I'd slowly work and "screw" that down pulling out and loosening all the debris. After each pass I'd turn it hole down and gently tap it on a rubber mat or soft pad forcing out the loosened debris.
Cheers,
HB

Sure. If there are diamonds or a rolled up treasure map in there I'll want a percentage. :thumbsup: Note that there are also very long drill bits, I believe they are called "aircraft drill bits" which you can buy that are as long as a cleaning rod and roughly the same diameter if there is something really stuck in there. Good luck!

Sure. If there are diamonds or a rolled up treasure map in there I'll want a percentage. :thumbsup: Note that there are also very long drill bits, I believe they are called "aircraft drill bits" which you can buy that are as long as a cleaning rod and roughly the same diameter if there is something really stuck in there. Good luck!

1/4 " for a German rifle. 5/16 for a Czech.

.......and if you use that long bit make sure you don't drill down and wallow out your cleaning rod nut set in the stock.....use hand turn only....

It turned out that the gun was duffle cut and when joined back together, the hole was just slightly off and there was a ridge in the channel. I found a brass
rod in the garage and using Pliobond Rubber Cement, I glued and wrapped a small piece of sand paper around the tip and let it dry for a few days. Then ran it down to the ridge and just worked it by hand until the ridge was gone.
Sorry Hambone, no treasure maps or diamonds but I did find one of those Nazi SS Christmas Ornaments. Thanks for all the good info guys.

:laugh: Those long aircraft bits are particularly useful for opening up the rod channel due to duffle cut repairs. Glad it worked out MD.

Military Rifle Journal
Back