Third Party Press

Accuracy Potential of the Mauser ES350N and ES350B

mauser22

This thread a bit off topic to collecting. Fellow Mod's feel free to delete.

I have owned well over 100 Mauser .22's of various models over the years.

In my younger years I seldom had time to shoot them a great deal.

I do shoot them and believe that is what they were made for.

Now at 69 years old I have developed a passion for bench shooting various German made post war Target Rifles.

Experiments with various optics and ammo on them has led me to favorites of a Walther KKM UIT and an Anschutz 1407.

Age necessitates quality optics to assess the accuracy potential of any .22 target rifle. Redfield 6400 and Lyman 20X benchrest adorn those favorites.

I have also learned the virtues of quality target .22 ammo. I get the best results with Eley and Lapua for my limitations and conditions.

I do my bench shooting at 50 yards off a bench (from an indoor set up to outside in inclement weather).

I recently acquired a Mauser ES350B in somewhat less than collectable condition externally but still great inside.

I decided to mount a vintage Lyman Super Target Spot 15X to be able to shoot the gun to it's potential.

The results were amazing. (Pics)

This was done with CMP bulk Eley under the above condtions. This with a two stage trigger with a pull weight of approximately 3 lbs. I was adjusting the Scope on targets 2, and 3 shot clockwise from upper right. These are all 3 shot groups.

This is nearly on a par with the Anschutz 1407 and the Walther KKM to my standards there. And I have only just begun to familiarize with the system.

So...

Since it required no alteration, I mounted a Burris 12X Varmint Scope on my ES350N (circa 1932) No doubt with a higher magnification target scope it would also compete with the post war guns.

One 5 shot group and one 10 shot group.

Same ammo, conditions (pics)

Not bad for 70 - 80 year old War Booty that survived a war, transport by servicemen, owned and operated, used and somewhat abused by more than 2 owners subsequently.

There can be no doubt that both Anschutz and Walther in the post war era rode on the heels of the developments of pre-war research on chamber dimensions, rifling etc.

And after all, the Anschutz 54 is the Mauser Model 37 with improvements, the KKM carries forward from where the Walther Sportmodell and Meisterbuchse left off.

I just thought some members might find this interesting.

Senile here and still going.

Good Collecting!!! (And shooting!)

Attachments

• ww1.JPG
    ww1.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 55
  • ww2.JPG
    ww2.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 61
  • wunderwapen.jpg
    wunderwapen.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 64
  • m2.JPG
    m2.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 60
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Great accuracy there, thanks for posting. I too get to enjoy shooting my 22 Mausers on my home range and agree that they have always been a fine and accurate weapon. I am going to try some of the more expensive ammo just for kicks.

Thanks for the post. Interesting.

I know the German .22s are extremely accurate, I shoot steel at 300 yards and even have hit targets out to 600 yards (most likely luck) with iron sights on KKWs and DSMs. It's really amazing that something made in the '30s can do this, but then its German engineering.

I have a pair of es 340 bs that I shoot on a regular basis. Both are soped one with an old Weaver K 10 and the other has a modern 6x24. Both will hold their own in the 22 varmint matches at the club against modern target 22s. Gotta love these and the trainers.

That's outstanding accuracy Jim, my 1710D only makes groups like that on the very best days. 'Course I'm only shooting Geco "Rifle" and my Schmidt is maxed out at 6X.....

Military Rifle Journal
Back