Third Party Press

Ammo

Nick063

So I just purchased my first k98 and I was trying to find so good range ammo..nothing to expensive. Is there any good surplus ammo available anywhere?

So I just purchased my first k98 and I was trying to find so good range ammo..nothing to expensive. Is there any good surplus ammo available anywhere?

Surplus is certainly getting hard to find. I would suggest browsing your local Armslist.com listings for ammo.

If you can not find any, I have used "PPU, 8mm Mauser, FMJ-BT, 198 Grain" Ammo. But that's if you want to spend 15$+ for 20 rounds.

Nate

Says it won't chamber in a K98k. The stuff I shot would but it made no mention of not being WWII spec. Thankfully I just bought a box cause it was cheap.

Says it won't chamber in a K98k. The stuff I shot would but it made no mention of not being WWII spec. Thankfully I just bought a box cause it was cheap. It sure wasn't very accurate.

There's Turkish stuff,

It's hot, it's corrosive, but it's pretty good.... I'm gathering a little yugo at a time...

panzertruppe

I recently tried the Hornady "custom" ammo. It is designed to mimic the ammo loads the Germans were shooting in WW2. I was very impressed with the performance. Shot three inches high and perfectly straight at 100 yards in all three of my "shooter" K98's without any adjustment of the sights. That is almost exactly as the box says it will shoot (2.6 inches high at 100yds) . At 200 yards, 1 inch high , still no need of any windage adjustments in any of the guns. Don't forget, I am talking this almost identical performance in all three of my shooters, not just one gun. It is supposed to be dead on at 300 yards, but I did not shoot beyond the 200 yard shots I mentioned. I think this is a really fine performance by both the ammo and the guns. It proves the German efficiency at creating weapons that uniformly shoot to the same specifications straight out of the factory and it proves Hornady has created a cartridge that exactly mimics the German load these weapons were designed to function with. Downside is the $28.50 for a box of 20, but I am ok with that given the performance.

I recently tried the Hornady "custom" ammo. It is designed to mimic the ammo loads the Germans were shooting in WW2. I was very impressed with the performance. Shot three inches high and perfectly straight at 100 yards in all three of my "shooter" K98's without any adjustment of the sights. That is almost exactly as the box says it will shoot (2.6 inches high at 100yds) . At 200 yards, 1 inch high , still no need of any windage adjustments in any of the guns. Don't forget, I am talking this almost identical performance in all three of my shooters, not just one gun. It is supposed to be dead on at 300 yards, but I did not shoot beyond the 200 yard shots I mentioned. I think this is a really fine performance by both the ammo and the guns. It proves the German efficiency at creating weapons that uniformly shoot to the same specifications straight out of the factory and it proves Hornady has created a cartridge that exactly mimics the German load these weapons were designed to function with. Downside is the $28.50 for a box of 20, but I am ok with that given the performance.

I've been using Federal ammo, but I just got a box of Hornady, nice to hear it's good. :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back