Third Party Press

Astra 600/43

CalFed

I glommed an Astra 600/43 at an on-line auction recently. It is at my FFL's right now, undergoing the 10 day "cooling off period"

There were a large number of Astra pistols at the auction, including 600's, 400's, 300's, and various others.

Would have liked to get a few of the others, but was stymied by the California "1 hand gun every 30 day" rule.

etBWwca.jpg

hOBql6E.jpg

MG5peL2.jpg

L3UjCxl.jpg

HL5QcAm.jpg

Better pics and a range report when I can.

Cool pistol. The German-used Spanish pistols are interesting. Thanks for posting and I would enjoy a range report and/or better photos. I bought a similar one from a local shop several years ago but haven't made it to the range with it.

Those are really cool guns. They are very heavy and extremely well built. One of these days I'll get one. They really aren't all that expensive. 1 gun a month and the 10 day wait are a couple of the reasons I fled Kommiefornia and will never move back. Gotta love cash and carry.

So, this thread caused me to take mine to a 25 meter pistol range. I actually took it along with a used Argentine HP that I bought as a shooter to replace a wartime German HP that I had been using as a shooter (and loved). To my surprise, the Astra was much more accurate. The HP had better sights, a better trigger, and felt good. I put 24 shots (3 x 8 round magazines) through the Astra and 20 shots through the Argentine HP (which is in excellent condition). I probably had 5 shots on the paper with the HP and all 24 shots on the paper with the Astra. I was shocked. Everything "felt" better with the HP so I don't know what happened. I will have to shoot a torso sized target with it to try to get an idea what it is actually doing as it is hard to get an idea with 5 seemingly random holes in a piece of paper and 15 missing shots. Hopefully the HP didn't like the ammo (eek). Anyway, I'm neither proud nor ashamed of the Astra's (and my) performance but will post it here in the spirit of the thread. The Astra had crisp recoil. Not painful or anything though. The Astra trigger pull was a bit long, somewhat creepy, and somewhat heavy. The Astra sights are small. It fired every time without any issues. It is by far not the worst military surplus pistol I have ever shot (the Argentine HP on the other hand...). It didn't have that nice feel that my German HP used to have (sob) but I cannot knock anything about the Astra's performance. And I don't hold anything against it regarding the small sights either as they were typical of the time and the truth is one should rarely need pinpoint accuracy with a pistol or the ability to reach out and touch something beyond 25-50 meters. That is what rifles are for. Anyway, I am adding some photos to the thread.

Attachments

• DSC_0806.jpg
    DSC_0806.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0807.jpg
    DSC_0807.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0809.jpg
    DSC_0809.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0810.jpg
    DSC_0810.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0811.jpg
    DSC_0811.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0812.jpg
    DSC_0812.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0814.jpg
    DSC_0814.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0815.jpg
    DSC_0815.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 26
My Nazi-marked 600/43 surprised me as a shooter. It handles like a brick, but shoots as well as any military 9mm except my Lugers. If you could combine Luger ergonomics with Astra accuracy, that would be a sweet shooter.

My Nazi-marked 600/43 surprised me as a shooter. It handles like a brick, but shoots as well as any military 9mm except my Lugers. If you could combine Luger ergonomics with Astra accuracy, that would be a sweet shooter.

Then you would have an Astra 800 Condor. Few of these were made, with very few imported into the US. If found in nice shape, it's a $2,500 pistol today!

Attachments

• Astra_800_condor.jpg
    Astra_800_condor.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 21
Calfed, Your pistol carries a "P" production code, meaning that it was made in 1945:

http://www.cruffler.com/ProductionDataPages/Astra/AstraDatesOfProduction.html

Here's a little more about the history of your gun:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384530

All of the original wartime 600/43s that I've ever seen had wooden grips.

Pisgah's Astra 600/43 above is one of the original first contract, WaA marked guns.

Your pistol may have seen service in Germany after WWII, or it may have been sold to another government or onto the Spanish civilian market. Your serial number will yield more information. Since your pistol does not have WaA inspection/acceptance markings on the frame, we know that it most likely did not see service in Nazi Germany. It might have been imported from Spain into Germany after the end or WWII. If that's the case, it may also have been paid for twice by Germany, once by the Nazis, and again after WWII when the Reichsmark was no good!

Last edited:
Cool pistol. The German-used Spanish pistols are interesting. Thanks for posting and I would enjoy a range report and/or better photos. I bought a similar one from a local shop several years ago but haven't made it to the range with it.

Those are really cool guns. They are very heavy and extremely well built. One of these days I'll get one. They really aren't all that expensive. 1 gun a month and the 10 day wait are a couple of the reasons I fled Kommiefornia and will never move back. Gotta love cash and carry.

Sorry, guys...the notification system for this site doid not alert me to any responses to my original post.

Thanks for the replies. I picked up the pistol from my FFL and have shot it several times...very accurate.

So, this thread caused me to take mine to a 25 meter pistol range. I actually took it along with a used Argentine HP that I bought as a shooter to replace a wartime German HP that I had been using as a shooter (and loved). To my surprise, the Astra was much more accurate. The HP had better sights, a better trigger, and felt good. I put 24 shots (3 x 8 round magazines) through the Astra and 20 shots through the Argentine HP (which is in excellent condition). I probably had 5 shots on the paper with the HP and all 24 shots on the paper with the Astra. I was shocked. Everything "felt" better with the HP so I don't know what happened. I will have to shoot a torso sized target with it to try to get an idea what it is actually doing as it is hard to get an idea with 5 seemingly random holes in a piece of paper and 15 missing shots. Hopefully the HP didn't like the ammo (eek). Anyway, I'm neither proud nor ashamed of the Astra's (and my) performance but will post it here in the spirit of the thread. The Astra had crisp recoil. Not painful or anything though. The Astra trigger pull was a bit long, somewhat creepy, and somewhat heavy. The Astra sights are small. It fired every time without any issues. It is by far not the worst military surplus pistol I have ever shot (the Argentine HP on the other hand...). It didn't have that nice feel that my German HP used to have (sob) but I cannot knock anything about the Astra's performance. And I don't hold anything against it regarding the small sights either as they were typical of the time and the truth is one should rarely need pinpoint accuracy with a pistol or the ability to reach out and touch something beyond 25-50 meters. That is what rifles are for. Anyway, I am adding some photos to the thread.

Great report, Pisqah. I shot my 600/43 off hand at 15 yards, using Federal 115 gr. Put 21 rounds in the black, most of them in the 9-10 ring. I found the best technique for me was to release the trigger enough to reset it, but not completely release it.

I found a West German holster, two extra magazines and a cleaning rod for mine on-line, so I'm all set.

Calfed, Your pistol carries a "P" production code, meaning that it was made in 1945:

http://www.cruffler.com/ProductionDataPages/Astra/AstraDatesOfProduction.html

Here's a little more about the history of your gun:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384530

All of the original wartime 600/43s that I've ever seen had wooden grips.

Pisgah's Astra 600/43 above is one of the original first contract, WaA marked guns.

Your pistol may have seen service in Germany after WWII, or it may have been sold to another government or onto the Spanish civilian market. Your serial number will yield more information. Since your pistol does not have WaA inspection/acceptance markings on the frame, we know that it most likely did not see service in Nazi Germany. It might have been imported from Spain into Germany after the end or WWII. If that's the case, it may also have been paid for twice by Germany, once by the Nazis, and again after WWII when the Reichsmark was no good!

Thanks, tsmgguy!

A few people have told me that the "MRP" stamping on the slide indicate Portuguese Navy usage.

Military Rifle Journal
Back