Third Party Press

Bayonet Questions for: DEUTSCHE MASCHINENFABRIK A-G DUISBURG

Rguns

I inherited this bayonet, but never got any back story on where or how it was acquired, and didn't quite know what it was as a kid. Frankly, it's been in my possession for a better part of 30 years, and I just recently found it in a storage box. Only when I unearthed it from a box in my garage, and with closer examination (and with the help of internet research), realized it was most likely was a bayonet that would have fit on K98 German Mauser. I decided it needed a home, so that's what led me to purchasing my first K98. I'm having trouble getting the bayonet to completely lock on the gun.

From what I've read, these were made by multiple manufacturers, but for the most part, were standard fit on most "German" K98's. I'm going on the assumption this is an actual WW2 German made bayonet. Is my assumption correct there? I didn't see this specific manufacture listed in earlier posts on this bayonet category, so it made me wonder if I have a mis-match and the bayonet will not fit the k98?

It's very rusty in the socket that slides on the gun bayonet lug. I had the gun smith who went through my gun for cleaning and safety inspection do a little rust removal on the bayonet. I thought he told me it fit and locked on the gun. It fits and somewhat locks on, but doesn't slide over the entire length of lug on k98. ***The pics attached are "before" the gun smith cleaned up a bunch of that rust. *** So I'm wondering if it just needs a much better cleaning and maybe some lube for it to work correctly. I wanted to post here to try and verify if I have a match or not with this specific bayonet. I'm still learning, but really appreciate all of you and this forum for much better expertise and know-how about this gun and it's accessories.

Attachments

• BAYONET1.jpeg
    BAYONET1.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 19
  • BAYONET2.jpeg
    BAYONET2.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 19
  • BAYONET3.jpeg
    BAYONET3.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 19
You have there a little damaged WW1 S98/05nA, the hook of guard was removed and pommel were filed the inner rifle slot should be cleaned and probably little upgrade for Your rifle, it should fit a Gew98 or Kar98AZ rifle. The scabbard is for early S98/05aA modell, with missing ball finial fitting. Grips were too filed as normally it should have 9 ribs when i am correct, the point of blade was probably too little sharpened and reshaped. Already not a desirable collector item.

When you got a rifle for your bayonet, you missed by a war. You bought a bcd 43 RC, correct? That rifle is a WWII German Mauser, and this bayonet is a WWI bayonet, as Andy stated. A WWI Gew98 or Kar98AZ would have been the correct rifle for your bayonet.
I would suggest not trying to force your bayonet on that rifle. It could possibly get stuck and result in damaging the bayonet lug on your rifle.
Now. you can either find a Gew98 for your bayonet, or an S84/98 III bayonet for your rifle.

Last edited:
The Mauser slots normally are usable, as both periods have identical bayonet mounts and should be on majority of this usable. Sometime when some damage is on adapter or in area of rifle slot in pommel of bayonet, it should be looked for problem areas or proofed on various rifles. I proofed my various bayonet models on friends K98k and it was functional S98/05aA, nA, S84/98nA, Vz24 and yugo M1924 were nice atachable on WW2 Kar98k wout any problem. I assume here is problem with the bayonet pommel, You should provide picture of the top of the spine of handle. And clean and oil inside of the slot. The press button/locking lug should be pressed fluently wout any problem.

Thanks for the info guys! Outside of the maker mark and the markings on the spine (pictured), I have not been able to find any other identifiable marks, numbers or proof stamps anywhere else on the bayonet. Yes, it is in very rough shape as pointed out. I guess I was leaning toward it being WW2 going with the info I found on the World of Bayonets (https://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Germany__Post_WW_I_/Germany_1933_1945.html) - Type S 109 (j). There, they did refer to it being originally on the Gew98, but then it also mentioned ..."The Second World War German S 109(j) modifications were to blue the metal and delete the muzzle ring." I wasn't real sure if there was bluing on mine or not due to age and rust - but it does not have a muzzle ring.

Andy, it sounds like you think if properly cleaned and lubed, it should fit on my k98 since the mounts are the same on for both periods? I haven't done any more cleaning on the slot yet, but will try to clean it up better and lube it. The gunsmith did get the locking lug working again, but there is still some light surface rust that needs to be removed.

Grimlin, yes my rifle is the bcd 43 RC WWII. I may take your advice, but do both. Find a S84/98 III bayonet for this rifle. And then I would have a good excuse to go buy a Gew98 to add to my collection :giggle: If anyone questions my new purchase, I tell'em talk to Gimlin! LOL

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the input!

Attachments

• Bayonet Spine.jpg
    Bayonet Spine.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 4
Yes this is a Demag 1917 production as visible on the spine, with D inspector proof under, i would do nothing on bayonet adapter on the rifle Kar98k, but only looked under magnyfying glass to that area for some damage of the T profil, when still rust in area of rifle slot on pommel of bayonet, some cleaning with a small file could help, and good oil before adding on rifle, certainly the bayonet could be hardly restored to previous original finish as too much material was removed from pommel and grips surface. Locking lug should be worked fluent. On pommel area near the locking lug should be same D proofs twice as on spine of blade, but these were removed by filling of pommel.
S109J from World Bayonet is a M24b rework from german WW1 S98/05, anyway there was done much more refurbishment.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back