Third Party Press

Bcd 4 questions

Freddy

Hi,
As the bcd 4 were assembled from subcontracted parts i assume that there are numerous possibilities of variation ? so how do you tell a original assembled bcd 4?
thanks Freddy

You probably need to give a s/n range to get better info. The early to later 1944 production should have the s/n on the bands, floorplate and triggerguard and inside barrel channel of the stock. Late 44 or 45 might be harder to tell as less numbered parts were used. Any photos?

Stan's right. For rifles produced in 1944, the bands and floor plate would still have been serial numbered. This practice ceased in early 1945. There was no break in the serial number sequence between 1944 and '45. Receivers marked BCD 4 were common in both years.

Others will know better than I.

Hi,
don't have any good photos at present will post them when i do,
Just bought the 3rd volume to help but the serial numbers in that don't seem as low from the blurry photo it seems to be a 2 digit number with suffix on a bcd 4 receiver but can't make out the suffix?
thanks freddy

Gustloff-Werke Weimar production follows patterns just like all the makers, serialing, acceptance and even the use of certain subcontract parts can be found in ranges. By 1944 all the makers were using subcontractors to one degree or another (byf-dot the least but they too used them), that was part of the rationalization program adopted in 1942 (in Gustloff-Werke's case it was the arrangement when created in 1938, they were organized to assemble from firms nearby in Thüringen and Saxony - the firm was involved in other things, rifles were but part of their operation)

The only significant variable are the barrels, thye vary widely, but most are Ruhrstahl or FN made, they made some of their own in 1943-44 too and used other makers as well, Geco, JPS etc.. most other characteristics are pretty easy to tell if original or not, but like with most things you have to examine original examples. You might look through similar rifles, search through "bcd" made threads to get a feel for them, or get a camera and do a few pictures and collectors can give you opinions.

Hi,
As the bcd 4 were assembled from subcontracted parts i assume that there are numerous possibilities of variation ? so how do you tell a original assembled bcd 4?
thanks Freddy

Hi,
Here are a few photos of the BCD 4 I assume that the mount is a repro and the scope a commercial but what about the base rifle.
Thanks For your help
Freddy

Attachments

• BCD4 001.jpg
    BCD4 001.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 37
  • BCD4 003.jpg
    BCD4 003.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 32
  • BCD4 004.jpg
    BCD4 004.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 29
  • BCD4 005.jpg
    BCD4 005.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 29
  • BCD4 006.jpg
    BCD4 006.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 27
  • BCD4 007.jpg
    BCD4 007.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 25
  • BCD4 008.jpg
    BCD4 008.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 23
  • BCD4 002.jpg
    BCD4 002.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi,
Tried to figure this out for myself,I now know it/s a repro but is this scope good or bad quality cheep Chinese or one of the quality ones as I'm thinking of buying it.
Thanks Freddy

Military Rifle Journal
Back