Third Party Press

bcd 41 - Salvageable? And another question.

RHA

The pics tell the big story.

Other details.

No bolt. (Did install another bolt to check if action was tweeked. Operated properly.)

Serial number matching on all parts present (Haven't pulled metal from stock yet.)
Screws, cleaning rod, buttplate, follower, bands, bolt stop, etc. All matching.

In hand, my best guess is that it was run over. You can see where the bolt knob was pressed into the guard on one side and it was pressed against something on the other.
The barrel was obviously also against a hard surface. :facepalm:

The stock cracks are an "easy" repair. No wood is missing, so epoxy and careful clamping would make a nearly invisible repair. I have straightened guards before, though not as bad as this one. But I don't doubt it could be made usable again.

The barrel......
Could it be straightened enough to be safe?

Second question. Waffenamt on bands is odd(to me). No number under the 'eagle' and a "1" off to the side? Is there a bit of history that goes with this?

Attachments

• 20191115_104531.jpg
    20191115_104531.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 20191115_104511.jpg
    20191115_104511.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 20191115_104550.jpg
    20191115_104550.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 20191115_104628.jpg
    20191115_104628.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 20191115_104713.jpg
    20191115_104713.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20191115_104723.jpg
    20191115_104723.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 122
Wow, love to know what happened there. Looks like it was a pretty nice rifle before, and still some good parts on it.

Wow, love to know what happened there. Looks like it was a pretty nice rifle before, and still some good parts on it.

There are some deep dents and gouges in the stock.
Something heavy ran over it. No doubt in my mind.

Have the stock off now.

Stock, handguard and front sight blade match the remaining parts.

Partially straightened the barrel Had to do so to get the front band off. Can now see through the bore.....with a big shadow on one side. :laugh:

Carefully removed the sling to free the rear band.

L&F Keeper and F.O.S. Buckle

Have left the bottom metal in the stock, as it is a good wedge to to flow epoxy into the cracks.

If you made up a set of die plates you could get the barrel pretty straight with a hydraulic press, but I'm not sure I would try to shoot it.

If you made up a set of die plates you could get the barrel pretty straight with a hydraulic press, but I'm not sure I would try to shoot it.

This is essentially the plan I had.
A couple of aluminum v-blocks and a 6" bench vise brought it back 95% of the way.

Shooting it?
Haven't decided yet.
Depends how straight, then I would slug it and see what the resistance was like in the previously bend portion.

Excellent starting point for a sniper project.
Just kidding.

I would replace the barrel, straighten the trigger group and repair the stock. Seems like a fun project.

Take the barrel off and hang it on the wall. Conversation piece to say the least haha. But other than the barrel, everything seems repairable. As said above, the triggerguard has already wedged the stock open which is perfect for getting the wood glue in there. I recommend 3M Weldwood wood glue. Might also need to put a dowel rod somewhere in there. Once you have put glue in the stock, remove the triggergaurd and put rubber on either side of the bent section and then stick it in a vice. Hopefully the metal wont crack from being bent back. It will mess up the bluing but you might want to put some heat on it if the metal looks like its gonna crack. Neat project, hope to see some progress.

John.

G-Flex Marine epoxy.
Best stuff ever invented for stock repairs. (IMO)

I have probably a dozen 98k barrels, but none with shiny bores. Haven't decided on replacement yet.

Don't think it will need a dowel. For the most part it split the laminations and the epoxy will just re-connect them.
Don't think any hear will be needed. Just some patience, backing blocks and 'soft' tools.
Trigger guard can be made useful but not perfect without some filing, so good enough, will be good enough for it.

I'll try to post any updates, but I am swamped with work in my shop so it could be a while.

Any information on the "odd" Waffenamt?
It is also on the action with the other Waffenamts.

G-Flex Marine epoxy.
Best stuff ever invented for stock repairs. (IMO)

I have probably a dozen 98k barrels, but none with shiny bores. Haven't decided on replacement yet.

Don't think it will need a dowel. For the most part it split the laminations and the epoxy will just re-connect them.
Don't think any hear will be needed. Just some patience, backing blocks and 'soft' tools.
Trigger guard can be made useful but not perfect without some filing, so good enough, will be good enough for it.

I'll try to post any updates, but I am swamped with work in my shop so it could be a while.

Any information on the "odd" Waffenamt?
It is also on the action with the other Waffenamts.

Good deal. What odd waffenampt are you talking about? The Eagle over 1 on the barrel band? That is the acceptance mark for astrawerke.

John.

Good deal. What odd waffenampt are you talking about? The Eagle over 1 on the barrel band? That is the acceptance mark for astrawerke.

John.

Yes, that mark, though the internet tells me it shouldn't show up on a bcd rifle until 1942.
As mentioned it also is on the action next to the '249' Waffenamts.

I would leave it as is. An interesting conversation piece. Some GI may have been desperate for a souvenir if it was brought home in that condition!

Military Rifle Journal
Back