Third Party Press

bcd G.43

werner_bieling

A recent pickup. No letter Gustloff-Werke G.43
Any insight on why the front barrel band has blue paint on it?
I also plan to take it to the range (with a shooters kit installed as well as a reproduction stock)
Unfortunately magazine is a repro and the locking lugs are modern production. Worst of all, the bottom of the stock cracked presumably in shipping. I will be making an insurance claim with UPS regarding this.

IMG_6972.jpegIMG_7065.jpegIMG_7060.jpegIMG_7063.jpegIMG_7064.jpegIMG_7062.jpegIMG_7061.jpeg

I'd look into using the insurance claim money to get the stock repaired.

I'm curious how the claim process pans out for you, in my experience that can be a pretty annoying.

Have you been in contact with the seller? How was the rifle packed?

I'd look into using the insurance claim money to get the stock repaired.

I'm curious how the claim process pans out for you, in my experience that can be a pretty annoying.

Have you been in contact with the seller? How was the rifle packed?
The rifle was shipped in a secured hard case. It was surrounded in bubble wrap and even 3 moving blankets. I'm amazed it was able to crack at all. In the photo advertised for the rifle no crack can be seen.

If that crack isn't in the photos you need to be talking to the seller. Frankly that would be in refund and return territory for me, and if you're not the one who paid for the shipping (directly - obviously you paid the seller for shipping) UPS is going to be hard to deal with.

edit: I used to do a fair bit of coin selling on ebay and more than once I had to just refund someone and go chasing the carrier - UPS, FedEx, USPS, didn't matter - because their CS just wasn't willing to deal with someone other than the one who had purchased the shipping label. And this was for straight up lost packages that disappeared into the ether, an issue where it was clearly 100% their fault.

Point being, if it came to you like this the seller is the first person you need to talk to. UPS is likely to tell you to pound sand.

I'd also be taking a VERY close look at those auction photos to make sure the crack isn't just a bit more hidden, perhaps by wiping the stock with a wet rag right before snapping the pics.

Last edited:
the stock got wet and is delaminating. this can be fixed. the color in the butt stock area is tell tale sign of it sitting in a damp spot and the stock soaking up water. This can be helped alot. the delaminating can be fixed also..
I assume you removed the recoil lug nut ?

Check the photos for signs of that discoloration as well. If this is something that was present in the auction you might be SOL and have just dealt with someone how knew how to hide it, if it wasn't it might have gotten soaked in transit.

Was there any rust, any sign of moisture in the box?

Check the photos for signs of that discoloration as well. If this is something that was present in the auction you might be SOL and have just dealt with someone how knew how to hide it, if it wasn't it might have gotten soaked in transit.

Was there any rust, any sign of moisture in the box?
No rust, no signs of moisture, and the stock was like that in the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_6961.jpeg
    IMG_6961.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6960.jpeg
    IMG_6960.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6959.jpeg
    IMG_6959.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6958.jpeg
    IMG_6958.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 36
the stock got wet and is delaminating. this can be fixed. the color in the butt stock area is tell tale sign of it sitting in a damp spot and the stock soaking up water. This can be helped alot. the delaminating can be fixed also..
I assume you removed the recoil lug nut ?
How would one go about fixing the delaminating? Talked to a friend and he suggested I take the stock to a local cabinetmaker and have the crack professionally fixed. And I did not remove the recoil lug nut.

No rust, no signs of moisture, and the stock was like that in the photos.
Do you have a pic of the butt from the auction? The stock in those photos looks different enough that I'm wondering if they did the old "wipe it down with a moist rag" trick (doesn't have to be water, you can do something similar with oil, lighter fluid, a light application of howards) to hide the defect a bit.

How would one go about fixing the delaminating? Talked to a friend and he suggested I take the stock to a local cabinetmaker and have the crack professionally fixed. And I did not remove the recoil lug nut.

Someone here can hopefully provide you some contacts, but you don't want to go to a cabinet maker to fix a collectable rifle stock. Chances are that they'll use some techniques that will pretty much wreck the stock from a collector's standpoint, as the sensitivities are completely different. You want to get in touch with someone who specializes in repairing collectable firearms, or just do it yourself.

Do you have a pic of the butt from the auction? The stock in those photos looks different enough that I'm wondering if they did the old "wipe it down with a moist rag" trick (doesn't have to be water, you can do something similar with oil, lighter fluid, a light application of howards) to hide the defect a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_7068.jpeg
    IMG_7068.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7069.jpeg
    IMG_7069.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7070.jpeg
    IMG_7070.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7071.jpeg
    IMG_7071.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7072.jpeg
    IMG_7072.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 33
You may think to get a spare bolt carrier before shooting too. Looks like that is numbered and the early type without the rib and solid handle. The rib gets added to help with strength and would be a crime to damage it. They are fun but money pits.
Sorry about your stock... that sucks.

If you look closely at those auction photos you can see some surface delamination in the water damage.

The auction photos definitely hide it better than yours do, I might have bitten on it myself thinking the damage was restricted to the butt and not a giant delamination down the length. Don't know if it's just lighting or if the gun got a quick wipedown first, but it's absolutely harder to see. You're likely SOL since the damage is evident in the photos if you know what you're looking at, but it would still leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd see about getting the delamination repaired. Those stocks are valuable enough that it's worth paying a professional to do it right.

Maybe during shipping gets way to hot and damaged was minor but heat caused to accelerate?? Seller can't hide something that pronounce. That's a no block letter ?

That stock is fixable but a good stock man.
My observation is that rare BCDs are the ones bubbaed or damaged in shipment more than any other maker...

Military Rifle Journal
Back