Third Party Press

Best way to remove frog??

Oldnrth

Picked up an OK mismatched bayonet with a frog, price was decent. The scabbard has some surface rust and need to be wiped down, what is the best way to take the frog off w/o damaging the leather??
9b4cfe9459ce98a3908f5ce0b36575bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best is not to touch it, but I use the handle of a flat teaspoon when remove old leatherfrogs. Not recommended on very dry frogs.

Best is not to touch it, but I use the handle of a flat teaspoon when remove old leatherfrogs. Not recommended on very dry frogs.

Yeah, I decided just to try and lubricate the steel where I could and just leave the rest alone. It’s not completely dry, has some wiggle room, but figured best not to break it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no good answer for this, unless the leather or webbing is both pliant and a loose enough fit, to get it over the frog stud without undue stress. Back in the '80s I was at a show in San Diego, and a fellow collector had just acquired a S84/98 T3 in a blue Luftwaffe tropical frog. The bayonet was of average condition and he really bought the piece just to get that frog. I watched him attempt to get the frog off the scabbard. He almost had it when the webbing ripped from the 12:00 position to the top edge of the pouch (the "Achilles's heel" of these and many similar frogs). Oh...the horror! He ultimately made a fairly decent repair (much easier with webbing than leather), but any attempt to ever mount that frog would be a big mistake.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back