Third Party Press

Beutewaffen Ammunition Stockpiles - Netherlands

Indeed. Imagine a bunch of guys in a platoon with all these different calibers. "Hey buddy were in firefight running low on 8mm ammo could you spare some." Sure which kind 8mm mauser, 8mm lebel, 8x56?

Actually it made good sense to use non standard weapons and ammunition in the rear areas for basic training, occupation forces, police, coastal artillery, etc. That freed up all other rifles chambered for 7.92mm ammunition for combat use.

Very true. As long as the occupied troops didn't get attack and had too use all of these arms at once. Read that the North Koreans in the Korea war had kind of the same logistic issues too. I think they had too supply around nine different cartridges. But they were most likely attacking then occupying IMO.

Actually it made good sense to use non standard weapons and ammunition in the rear areas for basic training, occupation forces, police, coastal artillery, etc. That freed up all other rifles chambered for 7.92mm ammunition for combat use.

Oh, agreed absolutely Dave. My take was based on them being front line troops. Kind of reminded me of all the differing weapons of the Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapaho at Little Big Horn.

KJ

Very true. As long as the occupied troops didn't get attack and had too use all of these arms at once. Read that the North Koreans in the Korea war had kind of the same logistic issues too. I think they had too supply around nine different cartridges. But they were most likely attacking then occupying IMO.

Similar with Jap 6.5, 7.7 and their mg's were nearly identical to 7.7 but slightly larger diameter. 7.8. I think? crazy stuff. I purchased some from a good ammo dealer n he sold them as 7.7 but they weren't. Real confusing. Germans were great at the logistics though.

Interesting article covering Beutewaffen ammunition found in the Netherlands at former German occupied positions.

Stockpiles of ammo for Carcano's, MAS, Lebel, m95 and soviet weapons were found along with 8mm Mauser stockpiles. It would sound like at least in this area, captured weapons were utilized and ammunition stockpiles kept for use in those weapons.

http://www.academia.edu/16784216/Du...se_krijgsmacht_tijdens_de_Tweede_Wereldoorlog

They could use some of them mines along the borders at the moment!

Thanks for the article, jhv 41. I'm looking forward to reading this one. Some of the more varied 'capture pile' pictures are reportedly from the Netherlands, so this would certainly bolster that.

Pat

Similar with Jap 6.5, 7.7 and their mg's were nearly identical to 7.7 but slightly larger diameter. 7.8. I think? crazy stuff. I purchased some from a good ammo dealer n he sold them as 7.7 but they weren't. Real confusing. Germans were great at the logistics though.

the only difference in the 7.7 jap ammo is the rim diameter, the projectiles are of the same diameter 7.7 or 303 british the projectiles were also of different weights but 7.7 is 7.7
the japs had rimmed (or 303 british), semi rimmed for mgs and regular rimmed tapered to the base for rifles, the semi rimmed has a heavier powder charge

The Russians had it rough during WW1 as well. They were "donating" Mosins in bulk to the Germans and Austrians. As such, they were sourcing arms from all over. The US had similar in the civil war, and the Israelis had the same problem for a while as well. One of the things that makes nato attractive is the ammo scheme that they have in place.

Military Rifle Journal
Back