Third Party Press

big 5 r/c find

here are the pics

here are the details so far.

bsw 1939 receiver with very nice looking dirty birds.
re-barreled with a "DO 129/38 ERMA" barrel that has a freaking super clean bore and damn sharp rifling.
mauser oberndorf bolt.
214 proofed everything else, stock also.

the stock is a laminated cupped butt plate type.
the stock markings are very very nice also.

bswa.jpg

bsw1.jpg

bsw2.jpg

bsw3.jpg

Looks like you did very well! What location did you find this one at? After work today I stopped at 3 local big 5s and looked at a dou 45, bcd 42, ar 41, 147 1939 and a 237 1940. 2 stores had one on the shelf and one in the back. Seems like each store had only one or two. I asked to see them all...hoping I could find some oddity. Nothing really caught my eye. The 237 1940 was pretty neat...It had a early sauer walnut stock with a German repair to the heel.

All the ones I looked at had no 'X' capture marking and the swazis were peened. They did have a reallyyy ugly and HUGE import stamp on the left side of the rear sight base though. Is your BSW import marked in this location? I was suprised the importer wasnt Century...it was somebody else I cant remember off-hand. The bores were surprisingly good with sharp lands and grooves. The condition of the metal on them wasnt bad either. Most of the ones I looked at were prettty nice for an RC.

It was nice to smell the smell of cosmoline on my hands again...It reminded me of the smell when I would tear open the box after I receieved an RC in the mail from Inter Ordinance when I first started collecting. Also looking the rifles over in hand to see what I was holding was again pretty exciting.

Last edited:
I got this one in sierra vista az.

It's marked on the left side of the site base with PWA i think.

Military Rifle Journal
Back