Third Party Press

BNZ 45 - comments?

morticianman1990

Hey everyone,

Just picked up a BNZ 45. I have s few questions, what's up with the extractor, is in aftermarket or has all the finish just worn off? My fingers are worn out trying to get it off but I took pictures best I could with it on. Additionally the cocking piece doesn't have any serial on it which I've seen some BNZ's with them so I'm unsure on that. I know the stock has been lightly sanded and oiled. Here's all the pictures I gathered.

Post 4's first picture to me looks like an "x" perhaps on the extractor?

Thanks guys!
7c67aa15e689f969c91a3b43ee1c7ec9.jpg
f8c538b49c33df3eda2d09a31cdb081a.jpg
f3a4cb3eec9a56b0fd388bf50de1aa52.jpg
b7c6b2aed90a31df63385a8ae7ef9efd.jpg
2c534079b65a0d8c4e1d02260c43530d.jpg
32bd7b5e4fbc49063ce0a0093946c905.jpg
a1b3321dc75052664a5f874b6bc1a8e9.jpg
7d2095e544fbf9125a1e336a4794397b.jpg
31c3f3ffb1ed30a91adcaf9420a4c40a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My guess is the extractor was plum colored and someone steel wooled all the finish off thinking it was rust. Pretty common issue I’ve seen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is the extractor was plum colored and someone steel soiled wooled all the finish off thinking it was rust. Pretty common issue I’ve seen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh okay, that is a logical explanation. Thanks mrfarb!

IMHO, the cocking piece doesn’t look late Steyr, it’s been surface ground (radially around the body) which isn’t a process you see on other Steyr cocking pieces. Also most if not all 45 production at Steyr made a secondary notch in the lower half of the cocking piece for sear clearance, oddly enough the majority had this clearance cut made after they were blued or Phosphate finished. Given that the extractor was messed with, it’s entirely likely the cocking piece was replaced too, it very well could have been a cracked part as that is seen at times from Steyr, the part on your rifle sort of looks more Czech to me.

IMHO, the cocking piece doesn’t look late Steyr, it’s been surface ground (radially around the body) which isn’t a process you see on other Steyr cocking pieces. Also most if not all 45 production at Steyr made a secondary notch in the lower half of the cocking piece for sear clearance, oddly enough the majority had this clearance cut made after they were blued or Phosphate finished. Given that the extractor was messed with, it’s entirely likely the cocking piece was replaced too, it very well could have been a cracked part as that is seen at times from Steyr, the part on your rifle sort of looks more Czech to me.

I appreciate the insight Clay!

If you look at picture 7 in post 5, there is a "C" or "U" looking stamp. Does this signify Czech?

Pretty sweet rifle. Shame the stock and extractor wasnt left 100% alone but still alot better than some ive seen.

John.

I’m not positive on the marking, I’m just looking at the machining of the part. I do know Czech cocking pieces show some kind of markings here but so do Polish ones and such, likely just process stamps with no real solid maker attribution or anything. Many Polish parts can actually be identified by such simply because they used many shapes/character instead of simple numerical markings. I’ll get some pictures up
here in a few to show you what I’m talking about on the late Steyr parts. Just small details but I think that’s a lot of why we like to collect German guns huh?

Pretty sweet rifle. Shame the stock and extractor wasnt left 100% alone but still alot better than some ive seen.

John.
Thanks John, yeah it's not perfect, but I think it still gives a great representation on the haste of production in 45 despite it's flaws

I’m not positive on the marking, I’m just looking at the machining of the part. I do know Czech cocking pieces show some kind of markings here but so do Polish ones and such, likely just process stamps with no real solid maker attribution or anything. Many Polish parts can actually be identified by such simply because they used many shapes/character instead of simple numerical markings. I’ll get some pictures up
here in a few to show you what I’m talking about on the late Steyr parts. Just small details but I think that’s a lot of why we like to collect German guns huh?
It definitely keeps things interesting! I'll look forward to the pictures.

Here’s a typical 45 production piece. A small part and details but there’s a lot more to be learned from this part than meets the eye, more on that later but here’s the photos for comparison.

Attachments

• DE135DF3-C87D-417A-86AB-3A719EE21ACE.jpg
    DE135DF3-C87D-417A-86AB-3A719EE21ACE.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 43
  • B27F1446-1B11-43D7-969F-9FBAD2E13C50.jpg
    B27F1446-1B11-43D7-969F-9FBAD2E13C50.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 41
Here’s a typical 45 production piece. A small part and details but there’s a lot more to be learned from this part than meets the eye, more on that later but here’s the photos for comparison.
Just checked three Steyr bolts, and yes that small grind spot is there on the bottom of the CP... very cool minutia!

I agree they are definitely not the same, the corn cob surface texture makes sense too

Military Rifle Journal
Back