Third Party Press

BNZ45 on a 44 receiver

That’s actually funny you say that! And I don’t mean that as a knock. Back when I got mine, it was sold as a “BNZ 44”. Plain and simple. the late characteristics that clearly identify this as at the very end of steyr production in ‘45 were not so well known. There was no Kreigsmodell book, and many folks accepted the receiver markings at face value. Serial number studies were coming together but it was a slow process and not so widely shared and available as they are now. Thx to mike and Bruce we’re all pretty well educated these days. What makes this a late’45 steyr? We know that the T block was the final one. We know they only started using KM stocks in late 44 in the q block. And by the end of the q block the receiver was ‘45 marked. We know that the rough shroud you see here only appeared in the S block. We know phosphate finished receivers only appeared mid S block. We know that the final acceptance was not on the top as here on BNZ 44s. Lots of small clues that are recognized thru experience, or the Book. So when you see all these characteristics on a BNZ 44 we know it has to be a leftover receiver. Now u just say “T block” as shorthand. It wasn’t always that way, and not always so obvious. In some ways it was a bit more fun, since advanced knowledge was an edge in recognizing a cool oddball like this and finding a deal or steal. Often the dealers didn’t know either but now they all quote Kreigsmodell in their descriptions. Knowledge is truely power and ho, the and it’s a pretty level field. End of day I think we and the hobby are all better for it.

here's mine in pinstripes. its got a coat of old varnish but i learned a while ago to leave them be. this one's 8148S, and together with 7202S are the only two listed in the book. So this makes three :)

Attachments

• bnz2.jpg
    bnz2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 19
  • bnz4.jpg
    bnz4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 19
  • bnz1.jpg
    bnz1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 19
That’s actually funny you say that! And I don’t mean that as a knock. Back when I got mine, it was sold as a “BNZ 44”. Plain and simple. the late characteristics that clearly identify this as at the very end of steyr production in ‘45 were not so well known. There was no Kreigsmodell book, and many folks accepted the receiver markings at face value. Serial number studies were coming together but it was a slow process and not so widely shared and available as they are now. Thx to mike and Bruce we’re all pretty well educated these days. What makes this a late’45 steyr? We know that the T block was the final one. We know they only started using KM stocks in late 44 in the q block. And by the end of the q block the receiver was ‘45 marked. We know that the rough shroud you see here only appeared in the S block. We know phosphate finished receivers only appeared mid S block. We know that the final acceptance was not on the top as here on BNZ 44s. Lots of small clues that are recognized thru experience, or the Book. So when you see all these characteristics on a BNZ 44 we know it has to be a leftover receiver. Now u just say “T block” as shorthand. It wasn’t always that way, and not always so obvious. In some ways it was a bit more fun, since advanced knowledge was an edge in recognizing a cool oddball like this and finding a deal or steal. Often the dealers didn’t know either but now they all quote Kreigsmodell in their descriptions. Knowledge is truely power and ho, the and it’s a pretty level field. End of day I think we and the hobby are all better for it.
Wow, very helpful. Thank you for explaining that. I haven’t cracked open my Kriegsmodell book yet, so I had no idea!

Military Rifle Journal
Back