Third Party Press

bullet drought??

shortfal

I saw a post by Hornady last night regarding them suspending the production of many of their bullets. There is a list of what they will be continuing to produce.
The Hornady #3231 125 gr. I use for reloading my 8 Kurz rounds is NOT on that list. I checked with Graff and Sons in Mexico Mo. and they have stock. I ordered another 2500 to be safe for a while. That's the only bullet I know of for the Kurz other than the solid turned Buffalo Arms ones or cast lead home made.
A heads up for anyone using the Hornadys.
Thinking something a big company drops may not come back regardless of it being stated as temporary.
Pete

Like most ammunition manufacturers, I believe they are suspending production of rare calibers to concentrate on catching up with the common ones, like 5.56, 7.62, etc. Once caught up, they'll probably get back into production of the lower volume stuff.

7.9x33 bullets

I build my own. If any of you run out, send me an email, I can get you through until they are produced again. JH

Attachments

• 250 123 grain 8mm fmj bullets 001.jpg
    250 123 grain 8mm fmj bullets 001.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 250 123 grain 8mm fmj bullets 002.jpg
    250 123 grain 8mm fmj bullets 002.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 50
amazing!

I've read about the dies available for swaging ones own bullets and the process involved. last I saw was about reswaging one caliber to another. Pricey dies and no doubt quite time consuming, but making and shooting ones own has to be a source of real pride.
I'll certainly keep your generous offer in mind. With my order today I'll have 5K in the can, so should be good for a while.
A guy in my club made me some cast W'gaschecks using a mould I bought from NEI Handtools. They cast such that they will not size to the diameter they really should be so are not near as accurate as the Hornadys. Also tried the Buffalo Arms solids. They shoot accurately, but they are more expensive than the Hornadys.
Do you have any pictures of the steps involved in making those pretty bullets?
Pete

As I also shoot the 8mm kurz I would be interested in knowing the steps involved.
There is a guy near me "blanksguy" who sizes the brass for the reenactors, but the projectiles are difficult to come by.
I have been holding off shooting mine until more become available.
CaptMax

I ordered 1500 Hornady 125gr bullets from Graf and Sons earlier this week, together with 2000 CCI #200 primers for my K98 hand loads. Hazmat fee is kind of a dealbreaker but I guess these days you ought to be happy with what you can get your hands on. I'm still looking for more CCI #34 primers for my 8x33 Kurz hand loads.

I'm getting kind of low mileage out of Graf and Sons 8x33 brass, after 2-3 reloads the necks tend to split (that is with 21gr IMR4227, 125gr Hornady #3231 and CCI #34 NATO primers). In comparison, PRVI/Wolf brass used for my G43 hand loads endure more than 10 reloads before the necks split, unless the nicks in the shoulder area go first. Shoulder nicks are different from rifle to rifle, probably depending on the recoil of the individual shooter kits and if the bolt is for a single or dual lug rifle (case trajectory caused by extractor position).

7.9x33 bullets

I also have built tracer bullets for the 7.9x33 for years. While not something I shoot a lot, it is fun to shoot tracer from an MP44 twice a year at the MG shoots. I always use a green or yellow (gelb) main tracer to distinguish the tracers from the standard red most shooters are firing. The main trace is set for about 600 meters, the same as the DWM tests for this cartridge. I also use the original German tracer & igniter mixtures (for 7.9x57) which makes it more realistic. All bullets are built on a combination of Corbin & RCE dies as well a number of custom punches which I built for this specific caliber. Lots of fun & something different. JH

Attachments

• 7933 TRACER 2013 001.jpg
    7933 TRACER 2013 001.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 7,9x33mm Kurz Tracer 001.jpg
    7,9x33mm Kurz Tracer 001.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
brass splits

I ordered 1500 Hornady 125gr bullets from Graf and Sons earlier this week, together with 2000 CCI #200 primers for my K98 hand loads. Hazmat fee is kind of a dealbreaker but I guess these days you ought to be happy with what you can get your hands on. I'm still looking for more CCI #34 primers for my 8x33 Kurz hand loads.

I'm getting kind of low mileage out of Graf and Sons 8x33 brass, after 2-3 reloads the necks tend to split (that is with 21gr IMR4227, 125gr Hornady #3231 and CCI #34 NATO primers). In comparison, PRVI/Wolf brass used for my G43 hand loads endure more than 10 reloads before the necks split, unless the nicks in the shoulder area go first. Shoulder nicks are different from rifle to rifle, probably depending on the recoil of the individual shooter kits and if the bolt is for a single or dual lug rifle (case trajectory caused by extractor position).

That's interesting re the splits. Wondering if your rifle might have a chamber that is big in the neck causing more working of the brass, leading to the splits. I've been reloading the FNM cases for a long time and find they are good for at least 6 or 7 reloads before I start getting neck splits. I have some of the Graffs new cases, but have not used them yet. Been using 22.6 AA1680 behind the Hornadys mostly. Just ordered 8# of IMR4227 as I've used it some and think it may be a bit cleaner burning. Made some cases out of WRA 68 .308 a guy gave me several K of. They work fine loaded with the charge reduced some due to the thicker brass. Downside is having to ream the necks to get them to a proper thickness. Upside is they were free. I made a rig for cutting off in my lathe, then I neck them in a regular resizing die and ream while still in the die. Keeps me out of the bars!!
Pete in St. Louis

Hornady bullets

As I also shoot the 8mm kurz I would be interested in knowing the steps involved.
There is a guy near me "blanksguy" who sizes the brass for the reenactors, but the projectiles are difficult to come by.
I have been holding off shooting mine until more become available.
CaptMax

Capt. You can get all you want from Graffs. I just got 2500 to go with the 2500 I already had. Amazing how much more I shoot having all those in stock.
Pete

handmade projos.

I build my own. If any of you run out, send me an email, I can get you through until they are produced again. JH

Wondering if you buy jacket blanks or form them from raw stock. Your work has to be an interesting process.
Your tracers really caught my eye! I suppose you use your bullet forming die to support the slug for pressing the tracer compound in with the needed pressure?? I bought a book on tracer making once and got the chemicals called out, but never got beyond that.
Tried drilling a bullet and putting magnesium wire in that a guy at the Creek sold. He said it worked, but it did not for me.
You probably know all about that.
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back