Third Party Press

Ce k98

mpkills

I just looked at a CE 42 K98 that a guy has for sale. It has been re blued a long time ago, it has had extra sling swivels installed and the stock is a mis match. All the metal parts match. Just wanted to know what the approx. value would be? I know it's hard without [pics. Has a sight hood and cleaning rod with it. Larry

If its been refinished and the parts are totally mixed/altered, I wouldn't pay more than the price of an RC for it, and even then thats only if its a nice shooter. 600-800 tops.

However, pictures might help.

Last edited:
I just looked at a CE 42 K98 that a guy has for sale. It has been re blued a long time ago, it has had extra sling swivels installed and the stock is a mis match. All the metal parts match. Just wanted to know what the approx. value would be? I know it's hard without [pics. Has a sight hood and cleaning rod with it. Larry

It doesn't seem there'd be a whole lot of joy in owning something like that. I'd offer $150.

It doesn't seem there'd be a whole lot of joy in owning something like that. I'd offer $150.

What? You can't even get a nondescript bolt for that.
Personally, I'd go with a 4-6 hundred dollar estimate, with prices being what they are currently.

I think he's trolling. You can probably count the number of functional rifle caliber firearms you can buy for $150 on your hands, and that's if they don't explode in your face.

Really? I had a nice CE42 walk in here not long ago, and offered the guy $150 for it. He accepted, done deal.

Guess I'm not used to today's asking prices...

6-8 for a refinished sporter? Way off. 400 would be crazy too imo, but 150 would be cheap. I’d say $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6-8 for a refinished sporter? Way off. 400 would be crazy too imo, but 150 would be cheap. I’d say $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, refinished kills the value, - and I mean kills it... $250-350 unless it has a really nice stock (basically the $150 plus sum of parts) This BTW is the value of rc's, and only morons spend over $400 for one without some maker/date rarity to justify the premium... this is entirely due to the refinishing and near total mismatched state.

** some flexibility could exist depending on the type of refinish, some are a lot worse than others, some are so bad they aren't worth a nickle, but a general rule of avoiding anything refinished is good to adopt, - this use to be obvious, no one valued refinished rifles in the 1970's and 1980's, same with almost all collectibles, but IQ's have sharply diminished in the last 30 years...

Last edited:
Prices are what they are because availability of these guns today are not the same as they were 50-60 years ago, and because many buyers don't seem to care as much about originality as back then, hence the reason prices are inflating, and why say mitchell's mausers sell way above what most people on here would value them at. Nowadays, unless you personally know someone who would be willing to offer you a bargain, you'll be looking for a long time if you're looking for an RC for less than $400. That's about the asking price for a mosin nagant today, a refurbished one too at that, much less anything mauser.

Last edited:
Some pics of the $150 K98, which turned out to be a '41 JPS. All matching except for the firing pin (WaA 665) and rear guard screw (which is only off by 1). The bore on its Gustloff tube shines like a brand new mirror.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 25
  • p1010006.jpg
    p1010006.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 38
  • P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 37
  • P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010020.jpg
    P1010020.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 37
  • P1010021.jpg
    P1010021.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 38
Some pics of the $150 K98, which turned out to be a '41 JPS. All matching except for the firing pin (WaA 665) and rear guard screw (which is only off by 1). The bore on its Gustloff tube shines like a brand new mirror.

Good for you!

What's your point? That there's morons that don't know how to use a computer and one of them walked into your shop?

If there's a "point", it's that good things often come to those who wait. I believe the "gotta have one NOW" mentality, coupled with internet auction sites, has driven the value of some pieces insanely high. But when this rifle presented itself, I needed another K98 like I needed a new hole in my head.

And why would you automatically cast an aspersion at the seller? In this instance, he was given the K98k and a minty Swiss Vetterli by some guy who found them in the attic of a home that he'd recently purchased. Being afraid that they might "go off", he asked this fellow to remove them.

Having no interest in either, he asked me if I was interested. I made an offer on the 98, and he accepted. The Swiss rifle I had no interest in, and as far as I know (or care), the guy might be using it in his garden to stake tomatoes.

If there's a "point", it's that good things often come to those who wait. I believe the "gotta have one NOW" mentality, coupled with internet auction sites, has driven the value of some pieces insanely high. But when this rifle presented itself, I needed another K98 like I needed a new hole in my head.

And why would you automatically cast an aspersion at the seller? In this instance, he was given the K98k and a minty Swiss Vetterli by some guy who found them in the attic of a home that he'd recently purchased. Being afraid that they might "go off", he asked this fellow to remove them.

Having no interest in either, he asked me if I was interested. I made an offer on the 98, and he accepted. The Swiss rifle I had no interest in, and as far as I know (or care), the guy might be using it in his garden to stake tomatoes.

If the rifle is indeed untouched and authentic, then that's a nice acquisition indeed despite the few mismatched parts. However, the point remains that this opportunity only arose because you made an offer to someone who clearly didn't know what he had, did not know its market price, and hence he was willing to part with his rifle for much lower than he could've. The fact is collecting K98ks is a niche hobby within a niche hobby, and most ordinary people couldn't care for them. In fact, it sounds like your fellow didn't know anything about firearms period; let alone K98ks. To the average person, they're just another old bolt action and there's nothing special about them. Sadly, that's how they're seen to plenty of gun owners too, who would rather spend their money on expensive ARs and tactical bump helmets instead of old equipment. It's not their fault when people have family members pass away and they don't know the price equilibrium for rare historical artifacts they inherit from their late family. It's just not an interest of theirs. I'm sure for similar reasons there will be plenty of people later who will inherit matching originals just like those pictured in the references section here and think "old rifle," and take it to some pawn shop for $200...

Yes, I agree that unhealthy buying habits have definitely influenced the price equilibrium on these guns upwards as they have many other collectibles even outside of firearms, however this doesn't mean that some random joe unaware of what he has letting it go for way below market price is a good representation of what a reasonable person looking for such things could expect to pay for one of them.

Yes, I agree that unhealthy buying habits have definitely influenced the price equilibrium on these guns upwards as they have many other collectibles even outside of firearms, however this doesn't mean that some random joe unaware of what he has letting it go for way below market price is a good representation of what a reasonable person looking for such things could expect to pay for one of them.

Just curious: Was it "unhealthy buying habits" that prompted you to suggest that a reblued mixmaster was worth "$600 to $800, tops"?

Just curious: Was it "unhealthy buying habits" that prompted you to suggest that a reblued mixmaster was worth "$600 to $800, tops"?

If your idea of "unhealthy buying habits" means basic self-awareness, then sure. He asked what one could value a reblued K98 with mismatched parts could go for without providing any photos, so I gave him the current ballpark asking price for Russian captures. If you don't like how they're priced in this current market for them, then don't buy them. Same reason I'm not buying ammo for $1 a round.

..a reblued mixmaster was worth "$600 to $800, tops"?

While this sounds like it's heading down the pissing match path I'll weigh in for whatever that's worth. At least the 2nd time I've seen that term or 'mismatch' in this thread. Not sure where that's coming from as in post #1 the OP clearly says "All the metal parts match.". Now does he really mean ALL metal parts? Don't know without seeing it. Is the non-matching stock just the hunk of lumber or all it's fittings too? Is it a period correct appropriate stock in good condition? These details can widely swing values. How about the reblue itself? Heavy buffing that removes much of the detail can also kill any value that might have remained.

That all said the $150 collectible rifle is not in 99% of members reality. It reminds me of a particular blowhole on Gunbored who always thought people overpaid no matter the price and he had a magic honeyhole (hate that term) where he'd get wonderful rifles for little more the $5 and pocket lint. For me everytime he'd post it was cring worthy. Those kind of bullshit lowball stories do nothing to help the collector IMHO. I've heard the whole "it gives them hope of finding a gem at a great price". Again I'll call bull. To me it sets an unreasonably low target that most would NEVER find no matter how much time, effort or bushbeating they'd do.

I bought dozens of garbage rods and M95 Stutzens and Carbines for between $56 and $114 not too long ago. I also don't tell people that's a price they should expect to pay.

Pretty hard to value the OP's rifle in question without photos. I've seen some folks say "all matching metal" on sporters that are missing the matching bands and bayonet lug. Stock complete with added swivels, or chopped? In any case, the $250-$350 range sounds reasonable without any photos to suggest otherwise. I am one of the dinosaurs who thinks such rifles are very often overpriced these days though!

I’ll give you $200 for it, let me know where to send payment. Sounds like a fair price, right? Since these are only worth $150.

Bargains on 98k rifles are few and far between these days.

FWIW, $500.00 is a bargain in todays market.

$150.00 guns are scarce as hen's teeth, but fools exist, who turn in nice guns at "police buy backs ", for $50.00 gift certificates.....

Military Rifle Journal
Back